Who has the best horns in Rock/R&B/Soul?

I'm talking about the great horns section that played as part of a group - Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, BST, Commodores, Bill Chase, etc.. Not talking about jazz groups or soloist (sorry no Miles Davis) , or purely instrumental (no Nashville Brass)- but a horn section that was part of a group.

For me, it would be Tower of Power - best horns in the business - even when they werent recording their own music, they got hired to play for almost everyone else - but who would you vote for?

Favorite Answer

Los Mocosos, I think their horn guys were in Tower of Power. They're definitely really good.

The Blue Meanies had an awesome trumpet player but the rest of the horns didn't really stand out too much.

Source(s): me

The Beatles and the Moody Blues had some great brass and orchestra arrangements in their songs as well as Electric Light Orchestra. Madness and Oingo Boingo-- great saxaphone player and remember the front man, Danny Elfman now a popular movie soundtrack composer.

Didn't like them too much but Blood Sweat and Tears used a lot of horns.

• Joel C

Tower of Power, Blood Sweat & Tears, 1st 3 albums by Chicago

1. The Caledonia Soul Orchestra....Van Morrison's backing group in the 70's.... check 'em out on the "Too Late To Stop Now" LP>

I'm kinda partial to the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones. Being from Boston and all.

The sax player in the E-Street band is really good

• earth, wind and fire. tower of power, chicago, all perfekt.