Would you support a bill that forced the federal goverment to cut spending by 5% a year until its 50% smaller?

And made a balanced budget mandatory?

Favorite Answer

It's not the quantity that is a problem, it is what we are spending it on. People get so worried about the deficit and sometimes make the mistake of associating it with the state of our economy. That would be a mistake. During World War II our national debt was 120% that of our GDP. Now it is somewhere closer to 60%. We managed it just fine then so would it be a problem now? As long as we try to keep that percentage from going up, we will be just fine. But like I said before, we need to start concentrating on BETTER spending, not less spending.

I hate when people use the term 'balanced budget'. What's the definition of a 'balanced budget' anyway. It will differ with everyone, and it is just one of those cliche phrases people use to sound like they know something.

I would support a bill that forced the government to cut welfare and entitlement by 50% a year. If that was done we would have a balanced budget in less than 3 years and be debt free with a surplus in less than 10 years. As well as have a tax cut.

Now don't go on about Social Security and Infrastructure like the one did on the last similar question, neither of them are welfare or entitlement programs.

I would support a bill that balanced the budget immediately and seperated the Social Security trust fund from the general budget, they definety should not be mingled. We need to cut back in a big way, we simply can't afford all this meddling around the world.

• Sean

There was a piece of legislation to mandate balanced budget . . . not sure what happened to it. Wasn't it Gramm-Rudman?

I wouldn't support such a bill as you put forth. I would suggest that since you don't like government, you stay as far away from it as possible. BushCO doesn't like government, have involved themselves deeply, and run the federal government poorly. Never has there been more fraud and waste, but that is due to their general attitude toward government.

Yes, I'd support a bill to make larger cuts than that each year. I'd go 10% and make each of the law makers to take a cut in pay as well for being irresponsible enough to allow the deceit to get that out of control in the first place!

Why not..makes sense to me. How about 10%. there would have to be some things in the bill like cutting politicians wages instead of stealing from social security. How about a flat percentage tax and eliminate 50% of the IRS. It can be done. We just need to be able to vote on how.

yes. The federal govt was never meant to be this big and complicated. Power and spending should be shifted to the state and local govt where individual citizens have more of a voice, have more influence over decisions. The US has the biggest national debt. because of its high taxes in a free market, and its over spending while trying to maintain a juggernaut of a bureaucracy. (Fun fact, Brazil has the highest external international debt.)

Hmmm.

How about keep current spending levels and reduce size by attrition?

50% across the board.

Yep.

i would support a bill to cut spending by 25% a year. all we need to do is get rid of useless lib programs.