How Can I Be More Emotionally Mature?

Although I am only 15, I am extremely mature, with everybody who knows me telling me that I am 15 going on 42. Now, even though I am mentally mature, I lack emotional maturity, and I know I need it. Sp how can I be more emotionally mature?

While you're at it, I have another really important question. What do we have to hold on to as an anchor in our lives? For me, it's not relationships, as I am always moving from state to state. Not family, as most are dead, I am an only child, and my parents are divorced. I mean if you were to ask me who I am today, I would tell you things like I am my thoughts, my body, etc. But the 30 year old me will have completely different thoughts, totally different body, so I will be a completely different person. So the question is, what can I hold on to as an anchor, even when my body is changing, my mind is changing, my locations are changing, my relationships are changing and I feel fragmented and lost?

Favorite Answer

I would not worry too much about it if I were you. Seems like you already have a good start on being mature.

But you are young and will do some growing yet. The best One to help with your desire to be emotionally mature would be Jesus Christ. He is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

We all have to endure the storms of life. Some of us learn from the experience and are better prepared for the next storm. Some of us are scarred from the experience and focus on the pain of it all. Some people become bitter and blame everybody else for the problems. But you seem to be one that is mature enough to be one of those that will learn from the experience and are better prepared for the next storm that life brings along.

click on

http://www.2theheart.com/jan30_02 then scroll down the page til you see

"My Anchor Holds"

by Karen Harper DeLoach

and then ready the story

Another place to see how the anchor holds is at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ0X7tHmKYk

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

First let's present one of the American Heritage definitions of the word "mature".

"Having reached full natural growth or development."

In every way possible, a 15 year old has not met this definition. The fact that you are 15 and you are told you are going on 42 is not a compliment. It is a sarcastic reminder to you that you are acting way too old for your age. While you may be book-smart, you have no experience. And you have no age. As a 47 year old with 5 kids ranging from 9 to 21, and having already been every age you have been, I can assure you that no matter how mature you think you are or people say you are, you are not. Part of being mature means recognizing that you are indeed 15 in every way. The fact that you say you are mentally mature is arrogant. You may be mentally and physically as mature as a 15 year old can be, but no more. Do not expect to be more emotionally mature than any other 15 year old. There are studies that show how even the physiological structure of the brain is not mature until close to age 25. This is proven time and time again when insurance companies analyze the driving habits of age groups and routinely hammer the 16-25 year olds with astronomical premiums. It would be best for everyone if 15 year olds acted 15 and not 42. That is how you develop emotional maturity.

Well how emotional you are, mainly has to do with the emotions that you parents give you. And you coming from a traveling broken home it is hard. But you will grow up in the emotional sense. You are only 15, so don't put to much pressure on yourself. It is ok If you are not mature in some areas.

As for something to cling to, the only thing that anyone should cling to is Jesus and God's word. To hold on to something false or temporary will further give you that insecure feeling. Get a friend that no matter what will be there for you. That you can vent to. Go to to this link http://www.regenerateym.citymax.com/page/page/5905...

This is my churches youth group. I think that this will help you in some areas. Check the whole website out. Even if you are not in california it can still benefit you. God bless and I hope that all works out for you.

Well Austin,emotions are general controlled by the mind,therefore if you are mentally mature then accomplishing an emotional maturity should not be so difficult .I think one of the first things you can do is to begin to read material that works on building ones self up. I suggest the Word of God (the bible) it is a great source of strength,wisdom,and encourgement as we as a place where the mind can be enriched with power.

In your next question you asked about an anchor to hold on to and in my first answer I suggested that you read the Bible.I think thats the same answer I'll give for this question as well.In reading it you will find an anchor ,in the person of Jesus.You see He Loves you and He cares for you soooo much that He gave His life for you and in order to have that anchor you are looking for you need Him in your life .This is how you go about getting that relationship started. First you have to come to the place in your life that you relize you need Him .I believe that you are there also relize that you have done wrong in that eye sight of God and that you are a sinner .The next step is to ask Him to forgive you for all that you have done wrong and be willing to turn from those things .Now ask Him to come into your life .This is what we call being saved or born-again ..Now find a church that you feel the Love of God residing in ,learn to talk to Him share your problems with Him as well as your fears ,pain and even the joys of life.Share everthing with Him ..Yes it will take some faith ,but God will help you through it all. I pray that this will Help you find the Peace of God in your life.Best Wishes>>

My personal anchor is the fact that I am the best person that I can be, and that I try to leave a positive impression on all that come in contact with me.

• Pi

I recommend you visit your local library and check out and read some David Viscott and Daniel Goleman titles from which I think you would benefit much.

They have both written many wonderful books. I read a lot of Viscott when I was about your age and found great insight in his work.

Ground yourself.Daily. Sink your roots deep into mother earth and receive what you need. You're grounded.

Emotions are part of our physical makeup. Soul/body/emotions/mind/ego are all the mammal part of us. Our other half is spirit. When soul is under submission to the spirit your duality ends and all your soul impulses are gone. That includes everything that falls under your physical nature as previously listed. .

Self acceptance-You are your own anchor that way.

Establish for yourself a base of beliefs and standard of moral conduct. Then you will be sure to be true to yourself and not likely to lose your self "in a moment"

Your question shows your maturity, but don't worry, as you get older you will just grow in maturity and experience.