What does power on password mean and why do I have one?

I have a lap top that is connected through wireless connection which is in another room. Ever since a new hard drive was put in my lap top it has asked me for a power on password. I put it in and it starts. It is not my password to start windows. I had another issue which may not be related so I will ask another ques. for that but I'm just curious as to what this poweron password is and why I have it?

When I add the password it shows up a start up screen like it was shut down with a power outage and not the right way. But I do shut it off the right way, It asks do you want to start windows normaly or use last configuration that worked. Thats all I get. Sorry I am not to familiar with comp. so when you say bios it's greek to me. thanks for trying

Favorite Answer

It sounds like you are describing a password that has been configured in BIOS.

Watch the screen during boot up and it should indicate a key to press to get into BIOS (may call it something else, system settings, etc). It's usually, DEL, TAB, F1, F12 etc.

Should be able to locate an area in the BIOS relating to security and turn off the power on password. Sometimes to turn it off you have to just delete any password that may be there then Save and Exit.

• oleson

Power On Password

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I have a lap top that is connected through wireless connection which is in another room. Ever since a new hard drive was put in my lap top it has asked me for a power on password. I put it in and it starts. It is not my password to start windows. I had another issue which may not be related so I...

Source(s): power password one: https://shortly.im/ri5Y1
  • Joanne

A power on password is based in the loading of the BIOS so you have to open the BIOS settings and terminate the password from there... Goodluck =]

Thanks for the answers!