Britain's Got Talent...since when has The Philippines been British?

Last night on Britain's Got Talent, there was an emotional performance of a Filipino female singer. I grant you, she had a great voice...but is there not a clue in the title of the programme? BRITAIN'S got talent!

She should not be eligible to enter, as she is clearly not a british subject, and only wants to to win OUR competition, and send OUR money home to the Philippines?

I'm not against talent, but this is a home grown show for home grown talent, and is quite clear in it's purpose.

Am I the only one who sat up and shouted at the TV in amazement that she got onto the show, let alone past the judges?

I'm interested to hear what you lot think about this...

Hmm, this seems to have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest. I'm no racist. I'm not agianst the girl personally, and I do admire her guts to leave her home land to seek work at the high price of leaving her two children at home. Us single mums have to make a lot of sacrifices to 'bring home the bacon', but I just felt it was not really in the spirit of the show.

Yes, I know she's been over here for 18months working, yes I know we as british citizens have a very mixed ancesteral history to us,(take the 10 yr old singer Charlie Green, who is of mixed parentage; white father/oriental mother) but this girl is NOT british (why else would she be introduced to us as a filipino if she was). It just struck me that this 'Britain' based talent show was not the place for her 'sob story', genuine as I believe it is.

Favorite Answer

I agree, it's supposed to be Britain's Got Talent, it should be for people who are British, not for people who have come here to work, it's sort of defeating the object of the show to let non British citizens take part.

"...to win OUR competition, and send OUR money home to the Philippines..."

What money are you talking about? The winner of this competition will get the chance to perform in the Royal Variety Performance, not win money! Also, the competition is not only for British citizens, because if it is, then it won't be possible at all, seeing that the British are not really known for talents, are they? Notice the auditionees? They seem to be mostly crackers who have escaped the clutches of their psychiatrists!

Also, if this Filipino woman sends her money back to the Philippines (as most, if not all, Filipino nurses in your NHS system do) at least they work hard for it. Filipinos are not like millions of British citizens who survive on government handouts. These people work hard to provide for themselves and their families.

Also, why don't you check first with the competition organisers what their rules are. That would have saved you the trouble from asking.

It helps with identifying the true situation of our immigration policy. We only take those where the jobs are needed (doctors, specialist skills etc) is the official govt spin. The reality - anyone from anywhere can come here to clog up our services and deprive working class londoners of housing, built by survivors of 2 world wars for their sons and daughters. Since when did we have a shortage of singers in the UK? The phillipines were colonised by the spanish (and the americans), and whilst I have nothing against them or their people (i have been there), I do have a problem with my country being used as a drop off point for all and sundry.

She lives and works in Britain and must have a work permit to be able to work here so why not enter a talent contest? How come it is Britain's money to send home to the Phillipines? How many Brits choose to live abroad and have their money sent out to spend there? You are nit picking.

I am inclined to agree, but I think she intends to bring her kids here to live. The best of the lot was the 10 year old singer, Charlie Green ,now he is a star of the future, closely followed by the 13 year old comedian. Good luck to them both.

I am 100% PURE COCKNEY (hatched within the sound of St Mary leBow Church, in the Square Mile (City of London) Not the Bow Bells in East London. I am Very proud of my country and even though I am now in my 60's I would, if I had to give my life for Queen and Country. I respect others and I say Good Luck to all who have come to my Homeland. And how Great it was to hear such a pure voice on theTV show.

ps, PEACE TO OUR PLANET, except to Robert M

hey! look around you,do you think those people are pure Brits? i think u need to get out more and get a life that is very good cure for insecurities,why are you so scared? you should get out there and show what you've got so you can show to the whole Britain you're a pure Brit and and you've got a talent,if you have?at least she's trying something to earn money not just sitting on her backside waiting for allowance from peoples tax.

I for 1 sense a little jealousy, because someone who shows talent, is legal resident in Britain and has got some brains.

It is the Filipino culture to help their immediate family, Evan if they live in Timbuktu.

if you had listened to ant and dec they did say that the show was open to anyone from anywhere.

She lives in Britain and so she can enter

If somebody lives in this country for a certain length of time, they are generally accepted as 'British'. They can even apply to become a British citizen. What do you expect this woman to do? Fly all the way back to her original country, to sing?