When do you use "my dear"?

I'm a japanese and don't know the meaning of "my dear" exactly. One of my boyfriends in US always calls me so in YIM. We are just a friend but had a romantic situation once before (nothing happened between us...). i wonder if he likes me as a girl or thinks just a friend....

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it all depends on 1) the personality of this guy 2) the situation he uses it in

it can have many different meanings - from sarcastic to romantic

Personally I use it in jokes and sarcastically

i hate such things between love mates and do not let my bfs call me "dear" (oh, blah blah)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

My dear can be used in a rude way to bring down another person during argument and it can also be use as positive way like toward someone you loved. It's just like the phrase "my friend"...my friend when used during an argument, it actually mean to bring down the other person even though it look as a positive word

• 1 decade ago

dear can have many connotations. it really depends on the situation that it's being used. I know the lunchlady I talk to every day calls me dear too, but it isn't in a romantic way.

dear can be used for romantic situations, but sometimes it's just a term of endearment.

• 5 years ago

Americans don't use it properly. Dear is used for your close love. Someone who means the world to you. Americans make everything into jokes and ignorance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

generally i use "my dear" to address a close friend..

cant say in what way he uses it..

• I had used my dear + name once and it was because i loved her so much

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i use "my dear" as a "joke" towards my friends. you know?

example: "my dear friend caitlin, can i ask you a question?"

• 7 years ago

Usually at the end of an answer told by you to a question asked by someone special to you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hard to say. If he uses it instead of your name I think. I tend to nickname my crushes.

But really IM means little. It's IM and there are no facial expressions...

• 1 decade ago

My dear means that he holds you close to his heart. That he yes, proabably like you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.