Anonymous

Is becoming a graphic designer a bad idea?

I was thinking of becoming a graphic designer but I just don't see it being in high demand.

Is it hard finding a job for a graphic designer?

Favorite Answer

If you live in/near a city, especially in NY or CA, graphic designers are in higher demand. You'll need at least a 4 yr. degree in art majoring in graphic design. If you live in a suburb/rural area, it's slim picking, about 80 designers compete in my area for each graphics job. I graduated 8 years ago with bachelor's degree in fine art, with a major in graphic design and a minor in drawing, but never held a satisfying graphics job, the market for designers died after 911 and after all the web start up companies folded. Don't expect to get to be creative in an entry-level position, it's mostly layout work with jobs at print shops and newspapers for min. wage up to $12/hr. If you are lucky, you can work at an advertising agency that focuses on giving customers creative solutions for websites, letterheads, etc. Another good job would to be to work at a magazine. Personally, if I could do it again I would have majored in photography or computer programming. You can be creative by taking landscapes and do weddings to pay the bills, also, layout isn't that difficult, just get and learn Photoshop to make digital albums of the photos you took. I know computer programming is hot right now, and has been for the last 8 years, and my husband had no problem getting a job that is well paying. After you land a good job, then you can freelance on the weekend at sologig.com to be creative. Hope your future is extremely bright and I wish you all the best.

Source(s): Life experience

I'm an agency Creative Director in Chicago - promise me you will not go to any of the schools like The Art Institute or The Academy of Art, they are low-value, high-cost. I agree with the professor, you want to leave school virtually debt free, or don't exceed 20k in loans. Find a low-cost "state school" that has a graphic design program and learn the basics - the industry will teach you the rest when you get your first job. I'd also recommend that you find an internship during the summers, even though it may be no pay, you will have something on your resume when you graduate. Concentrate on producing a high-volume of work when you're in school so that when you do put your portfolio together, you can choose your top 10 pieces. I'd rather see quality than quantity. I graduated from the University of Idaho and in-state tuition is still fairly cheap even in 2011 - $5402, Montana State is $6000. These don't include room and board etc.

Im not saying it is good or bad, but on craigslist there are always alot of graphic designers looking, almost begging, for work and do it for a low wage. I don't know if it is just a good way to advertise or a desperation thing. Just something to consider.

It will be if you hate doing that job and drawing and computers etc. But if you love doing this and you are a very good artisit with good knowledge in Maya, Corel Draw, Photoshop, 3D Max etc then you coukd have a very good career in graphic designing and animation.

Hope this helps.

If you just thought hey I wanna be a graphic designer chances are you arent into art enough to do real well.