Micro
Micro asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Need name of a bad scifi movie: A guy & gf on boat go to weird town with crazy fish people?

Saw the movie on Sci fi channel a few years ago. At the end the guy finds out he is somehow related to the fish like people and the one who is supposedly his cousin or sister falls in love with him? Really twisted ending.

Best Answer

It's called Dagon(2001) with Ezra Godden Raquel Merono

Based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, the undisputed master of the macabre, Dagon tells the story of Paul Marsh, a young man who discovers that the truth will not set him free instead it condemns him to a waking nightmare of unrelenting horror. A boating accident off the coast of Spain sends Paul and his girlfriend Barbara to the decrepit fishing village of Imboca looking for help. As night falls, people start to disappear and things not quite human start to appear. Paul finds himself pursued by the entire town. Running for his life, he uncovers Imboca's dark secret: that they pray to Dagon, a monstrous god of the sea. And Dagon's unholy offspring are freakish half-human creatures on the loose in Imboca.

• Roy D

Except for the fish people part it sounds just like Bleeders. They were just really deformed due to hundreds of years of inbreeding.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0119279/

Plot Summary for

Bleeders (1997)

A man with an unknown disease travels to an island with his girlfriend where his relatives once lived, hoping to find a cure to his illness. While it was thought that his relatives were all dead he actually finds them to be living underground. However because they have been inbreeding for all these years they don't look right, plus they have developed a pretty bad eating habit. Will he chose his girlfriend or his people?

I think it sounds more like the H.P. Lovecraft-based "Dagon". Let me check some of the detals. // Hmmm... It looks as if they might have changed the name because here's the information:

Dagon (2001)

starring Ezra Godden, Francisco Rabal, Raquel Meroño, Macarena Gómez, Brendan Price

IMDB synopsis:

Based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, the undisputed master of the macabre, "Dagon" tells the story of Paul Marsh, a young man who discovers that the truth will not set him free instead it condemns him to a waking nightmare of unrelenting horror. A boating accident off the coast of Spain sends Paul and his girlfriend, Barbara, to the decrepit fishing village of Imboca looking for help. As night falls, people start to disappear and things not quite human start to appear. Paul finds himself pursued by the entire town. Running for his life, he uncovers Imboca's dark secret: that they pray to Dagon, a monstrous god of the sea. And Dagon's unholy offspring are freakish half-human creatures on the loose in Imboca.

***SPOILERS***

"Long ago," the priestess explains to Paul, "he was young and handsome for a man. He brought women to Imbocca, including your mother. You are my brother, now you will be my lover."

Paul keeps cranking up the wench only to learn he has gotten there too late. Now covered in a thick black substance, Barbara begs him to just let her die. At first he refuses, but the priestess begins to explain how Barbara is now part of Dagon, and so he lets Barbara go into the deep.

Turning to the priestess with eyes full of anger, Paul douses himself in kerosene and sets himself on fire. The priestess shouts, "No!" then leaps onto Paul, knocking them both into the water. Once underwater, gills open up in Paul's neck and sides. The priestess smiles, swimming around him just like the mermaid in the dream. Now, realizing that he is one of them, Paul takes her hand, smiling, and swims with her into an intricately carved tunnel under the sea.

The screen fades to black and this quote appears. "We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to Cyclopean and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever."

I've never seen it shown by any other title than the original: "Dagon".

I guess I waited to long to find my details. I tend to look for support of my answers and wait to answer. Oh well... At least you can see that a number of people think it's the same film although, again, I've never seen the first title cited. Maybe that's for the video version.

Polar Express.

Didn;t they call that Waterworld?