promotion image of download ymail app

Publisher, Journalism, agh!?

Ok, so i want to be a publisher <i>someday</i>. I know that i want to take business administration as a major, minor in english, and take some journalism and design, but I don't know how long this will take with gen. eds. or what college to go to. I try not to worry about what my education will cost, but it still exists.

So how long should it take and what experience do i need? Do you have any suggestions on college?

**Also, I'm graduating college early--this dec. of 2008, and I have connections in CA, FL, VA, LA, IN, and IL with which i could live (for boarding). This may help with your answer...

1 Answer

  • Brent
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Most of the people moving up into publisher roles today, at least in Illinois, are from the advertising side of the business. Personally, I think it's important to take journalism if you want to be a newspaper publisher, but if you wanting to position yourself best, you need to take some business classes and gain some good sales experience. (keep reading for one of the best kept secrets in Illinois journalism education.)

    As for which school, I don't think it matters so much as long as you have a degree. Journalism is not one of the more discerning careers. If you strictly want journalism, Columbia is good. In Illinois, Eastern Illinois University is good and probably more affordable than some others. SIU used to have a great journalism reputation, but not as much anymore. University of Illinois is OK.

    Keep in mind that you don't have to go to your "choice" school all four years. Get your gen-ed studies at a community college and then transfer to your choice school. You could even transfer your senior year. As long as you finish at your choice school, your degree will be from that school. You could pick up an associate's degree at the community college, too.

    Now, for one of the best kept secrets in Illinois journalism: Check out the Public Affairs Reporting course at the University of Illinois-Springfield. You can get your degree anywhere in the country and apply for the PAR course. With the PAR course, you intern with a newspaper at the state capitol, and you get paid a stipend. I think the tuition is generally waived, too. And there are other scholarships connected directly to the PAR program, so it is one of the most affordable Masters programs out there.

    It's a one-year program and you walk away with a Master's Degree in Public Affairs Reporting.

    You will actually learn something, too. The instructor is a retired Chicago Sun-Times editor and is the real deal. I put a link below; check it out.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.