where would I begin an ancestry search, my children are supposedly direct descendants of Chief Cornstalk?

My husbands grandmother stated that she was a direct descendent of the Shawnee Chief, Cornstalk, It was rumored that her great great great grandmother was one of his white brides. Her maidenname was Duffey... I would like to start researching this but do not have a clue as to where to even begin, any suggestions

Favorite Answer

It's not in any of his published biographies, but I would start by contacting the West Virginia State Archives. They have complete records on Chief Cornstalk and should be able to tell you if the legend of a white woman named Duffey marrying the Chief is true.

http://www.mywestvirginiagenealogy.com/index.htm

http://www.wvculture.org/history/notewv/corn.html

You can also touch base on the Cornstalk Family Genealogy site where there seems to be a good assortment of people with quite a bit of documentation on Cornstalk and his descendents. http://genforum.genealogy.com/cornstalk/

The best way to start is with yourself. Write down your name and all your vital information. Next move on to your parents, their names, date of birth, (death if they have passed on), location of birth, marriage date, if they served in the military. If they are still alive, talk with them. Ask them about their parents or if they know anything about their grandparents. Write down any information.

Do the same thing on your husbands side.

You can look under census records to help find locations of where people lived, what they did for a living, how many kids they had and their names.

Look into Ancestry.com or Cyndislist.org for more information into your search.

Also, libraries and historical socities are another great place to find information. And libraries usually have free subscriptions to Ancestry.com.

i myself do have emails saved on my computing gadget, which I transferred with the aid of countless no longer hardship-free drives, and diverse courses. The operative ingredient here is that i comprehend the version between digital mail saved on my equipment/ no longer hardship-free force, or mail saved on exterior servers. in actuality, I made the errors of storing many coaching based emails in one yahoo account for the sake of no longer clogging my no longer hardship-free force. i did no longer get admission to it for countless months, and it have been given deleted, considering they seen it inactive. My undesirable, for no longer remembering to back it up. there develop right into a court case the place kin of a deceased soldier asked yahoo for the password to his account for obtrusive reasons.. yahoo flat refused. So.. i individually disagree that they are going to worry protecting mail on server area, it truly is going to be deleted. Any sort of digital mail is actual saved right into a textual content textile record, then it truly is inserted to the notes portion of usual kin tree courses. a similar is authentic of any jpeg record which incorporates p.c.. or scans. Now, whilst this equipment places out a gedcom, any of that turns into portion of the gedcom record. This all is usual.. people could be insuring that their information is totally secure. a replica of any gedcom additionally must be saved removed from the domicile.... this is extremely authentic once you reside in a position like Dallas (as I do) and function issues like wild climate/ tornados, and so on.