What happens if you fail a drug test on probation?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
If your on probation and you get drug tests every month, what will happen if you fail one?
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
They will revoke your probation and make you serve the remainder in jail. Depending on the county and whether or not your probation was a misdemeanor or a felony, you could qualify for 2 for 1 on good behavior.

Jail is a terrible place. If you are this addicted to drugs that you want to do them even though you're on probation and the certainty of jail time, you need to do some serious drug counceling.

Source:

My bf went to jail for 2 months to serve out the rest of his probation. It was horrible for him, me, and his family and all of us that cared about him. We didn't even know he was using.

Asker's rating & comment

4 out of 5
Pro
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (12)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • MisterShipWreck answered 6 years ago
    Typically - on your first 1 - you will be referred back to treatment. I have worked in 4 different probation departments, and usually you are not taken back in front of the judge for the very 1st positive UA unless there are a bunch of other issues.

Know that sometimes, in addition to being directed back to ciunseling, I will sometimes offer a sanction - such as 1 or 2 weekends in jail (in circumstances where I think it is warranted). The person can either willingly sign the paperwork, or then I will take them in front of the Judge if they refuse.

Source(s):

16 years in criminal justice - the last 7 as a Texas probation officer.
    • Comment (1)
  • Daniel P answered 6 years ago
    next time you have to test if your dirty be honest with the probation officer in most cases they will give you the benefit of the doubt. or you can run from them
    • Comment
  • CHUCKSTER answered 6 years ago
    You Violate Your Probation You Could Have Probation Revocted And Go To Jail
    • Comment
  • Jim Bob answered 6 years ago
    You could be sent to jail..
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Alicia answered 6 years ago
    You are in violation of your probation. Your Probation Officer will write a violation report, the report will go to the judge probably at a court hearing (at which you will be at), and the judge will decide what to do. It can range anywhere from revoking your probation to just giving you a warning. It also depends on how many positive drug tests you have had, if you had or have a drug history, etc. It is all up to the judge. It also depends on your state, some states are more liberal than others.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Rusty Brains answered 6 years ago
    you go back to prison to complete your sentence.....at least in California you do....good luck
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • 2gadoo answered 6 years ago
    Depends on your proby officer. How well he likes you or trust you. Your options would be go to a rehab program or jail.
    They usually give you another chance before jail but you do more proby time which means more test.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • mr. wiseguy answered 6 years ago
    i got 8 more months of probation. thank god i didn't go back to the slammer.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • 100% ♥Creole♥ answered 6 years ago
    YOU DO NOT PASS GO, BUT GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL.

p.s. marijuana is the drug that stays in your system the longest (30 days plus)
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • littlelamb36 answered 6 years ago
    if you had any time left on your sentence you can and will be charged first of all with a new crime which is doing illegal drugs, you will go to court and because you are on probation can get the max for the current offense as well as have the last sentence added on for you to serve.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

• Russell P answered 6 years ago
    You go to prison . Probation is a warning sentence and if you screw that up you are screwed .
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • trooper3316 answered 6 years ago
    The maximum punishment for any violation of your rules of supervision would be jail time for the remainder of your probation.
    • Rate
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock