Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

英文片語造句-急-

plz make a correct sentence for each of them with a short explantion of its meaning, thanX.

1fall a victim to

2happen to

3high time

4hard put

5in one's way

6make do with

Hi, Elisa,

Thank you for sentenses and clear explanation. Do you know any easy-to-use online dictionaries that offer "phrases consulting" functions? Plz tell me, I can't find one. Most the online one only supply words meanings.

Rating
  • Elisa
    Favorite Answer

1. Fall a victim to (meaning: A person or thing destroyed in the pursuit of an object or in gratification of a passion)

She fell a victim to jealousy and completely ruined their relationship.

=> This means that: Their relationship was destroyed because of her jealousy.

2. Happen to (meaning: by chance)

I happened to see her in the mall

=> I saw her in the mall by chance.

3. High time (meaning: the appropriate time or past the appropriate time)

It's high time that he got out of bed.

=> He has slept for too long. It is time for him to get out of the bed.

The expression "It is (high/about) time past verb test" is used to complain about or criticize something or someone:

It is time that the government took action.

It is about time that the government took action.

It is high time that the government took action.

4. Hard put (meaning: in great perplexity or difficulty)

We were hard put to finish the examination in one hour.

=> We worked very hard to finish the examination in an hour.

5. In one's way (meaning: forming a hindrance or obstruction)

She is determined to become President of the United States , no matter who is on her way.

=> She doesn’t care what the obstacles will be. She will do whatever it takes to become President of the United States .

6. Make do with (meaning: Make do with - Accept something less satisfactory because there's no alternative)

There's no coffee, so we'll have to make do with tea.

=> There is no coffee. Even though coffee is our favorite, we will have to drink tea instead.

2008-04-19 17:21:27 補充:

I checked the website and found Cambridge International Dictionary of Idioms. Maybe that will be a good source. I did not use that one to answer your questions. But searching the internet, this one looks very comprehensive.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/default.asp?dict=I

Source(s): Myself. Studied English abroad at the age of 11. Tutored English as an Undergrad. A project manager in the US since 1992.
  • Lydia

what happen to this answer?