Theresa S asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

I found a wild baby rabbit with my friend and it has an injured leg should we keep it or not ?

my parents and i think that we should keep it because we asked this lady at Petsmart and she said that if it has human scent on it ,then other rabbits will try and kill it even its mother . She also said that since it has a white stripe on its head that that is a target for other animals! But my friend and her mom still want to let it go and we are trying to turn their minds around! So i was just thinking would i be right by keeping it til' it is older or should we let it go?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. No. It is illegal to care for or keep any wild animal – even baby bunnies – unless you are licensed with the Department of Environmental Protection.

2. Wild rabbits are one of the most difficult species to rehabilitate. The suffering of all orphaned and injured wildlife should be kept to an absolute minimum. Not knowing how to rehabilitate them will only exacerbate their suffering. And although there are books on the subject, many that you will find in stores and libraries are extremely out-of-date and filled with incorrect information. Following them will only make the situation worse.

3. It is cruel to keep a wild animal as a pet. They need much more room than a cage, and they need to be surrounded by others of their own kind.

The most helpful thing you can do is to bring injured or orphaned wildlife to an experienced rehabilitator as quickly as possible. Wild rabbits can carry diseases that may cross contaminate to you and your family or worse yet kill the rabbit if not treated. A rescue will give this little one the best chance of survival.

Mother rabbits will take their babies back even if they and the nest smells like humans so I cannot think of a reason for the other rabbits to want to kill it or the mother for that matter. It is probably best to look for a rabbit rescue in your area. I did try to find a wild rabbit with a distinct white stripe on it's face and could not identify one. If the stripe is really wide and not just a sliver of white, I would say it may stick out more than an ordinary rabbit and may be a cross from a domestic breed, but either way, I would try to find a rescue sanctuary who can either rehabilitate the rabbit back into the wild or offer the little one a permanent life in a natural habitat, Meanwhile, I am glad you rescued the little one and kept it out of further harm. Good Luck

• Login to reply the answers
  • doug s
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

You're going to need to keep it now. For a variety of reasons.

First is that it's very hard to raise an animal and then release it back to the wild in general. It won't have many of the necessary skills for finding food, making a home, avoiding predators... There are some things that are instinctual but instinct only goes so far. Technique must be learned.

Secondly is the fact that the rabbit will be people friendly. This is dangerous for any wild animal as not all people will be as kind as you will.

Then there's smell. This isn't so big a deal as there are actually things you can do about this, and after a few weeks the smell would be gone anyway. So this one isn't such a big deal

However the first two are and it would really be best if you kept it. The other animals wouldn't necessarily try to kill it because it smelled of humans, but the certainly would avoid it if nothing else. Not having the skills for survival and being shunned by those who could teach it is a death sentence. But to wild creatures it's an us or them life and they would choose to save themselves rather than another.

Besides, it's only a rabbit. They're not exactly expensive and if you keep it's cage clean they don't smell horribly bad. Plus, if it's a big enough rabbit, you can house-train it and it'd be like a house cat.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

first of all petsmart employs the dumbest people on the planet. they tried to sell me special light bulbs for my nocturnal snake......think about that for a second...

anyway rabbits are not going to try and kill your baby rabbit just because it smells funny. and think about it for a second, if the gene for a white stripe caused an animal to be easy prey then all animals born with a white stripe whould be killed before they could reproduce and that gene would not be passed on. therefore a white stripe has nothing to do with your animals ability to survive in the wild. NEVER listen to anything anyone at petco or petsmart tells you. do some research on the net, if you can find several sources that say the same thing i'd go with that.

its up to you to keep it or not till the leg heals. if you try to keep it as a pet you are in a world of hurt. first off it may be illegal. second it is probably loaded with parasites, and harmful bacteria. be prepared to spend about $200-300 dollars just on physical exams, and treatment for worms and other ailments that may not be obvious now. it may just die anyway because it is a wild animal and the stress of captivity may be too much. pet rabbits are bred in captivity for generations and have lost their fear of man.

BTW rodents mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, etc, are at the bottom of the food chain, their only purpose in life is to turn grass, nuts, garbage or whatever into meat, which the next level fox, wolf, eagle, snake, eats, and so on. that is why they breed so fast. to feed the next level up. its natures food pyramid.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If injured, please contact a Wildlife Rehabilitator or rabbit vet immediately. The care that people attempt to provide can be illegal, unnecessary, and potentially harmful. If it is wild, immediatley put it back. If it is injured, visit a vet or Wildlife Center immediatly. They can nurse the bunny back to health and possibly remove your scent. Do not try to heal it yourself because it will only do more harm. Thousands of wild animals are injured and die. You can't save them all. It's the circle of life and if we saved every animal, their would be overpopulation.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orpha...

People like you , do have good intentions but you really should put them back as soon as possible. If they seem injured, then contact a Wildlife Rehabilitator or rabbit vet immediately. Good luck to you.

Source(s): work part time at a Wildlife Rehabilitation center. We often get young baby animals, usually birds or bunnies. People say that they found them alone. This is normal and if humans interfere, they usually die. Most of the animals brought into our center are young who are small but capible of living on their own.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First off try to find a rehabber take it to a vet they should know of one. The people at petsmart are idiots. All baby bunnies have white spots on their heads. I volunteer at a wildlife refuge center in Asheboro NC. Baby bunnies are very hard to care for and it is actually illegal to keep them if you don't have a license. Also other bunnies won't kill it. Bunnies don't stay with their mom very long and it is highly likely that the bunny you found can take care of its self. But if you want to be extra sure call the vet and ask if they know about any rehabbers in your area.

• 1 decade ago

been there did this. Get some kitten formula from the pet store and use a eye dropper. The rabbit I found took to it very well. We had "sparky" for aboout a month and a half and we let him go. Sparky had a white spot on it's head also. It was pretty cool to see him in our back yard from time to time knowing we did the right thing :) Or you can also find a local nature center that takes in injured wild animals. Did that with a squirrel before.

• 1 decade ago

Try to call a person who raises rabbits, and they might be glad to get it to rehabilitate. Often times, an injured rabbit goes into shock, and dies anyway, because they often have internal injuries. Also, if you let it loose, please wait until morning, so it will be a little bit warmer to avoid shock, and keep it a little warm. Good luck, and when he gets a little bigger, if you keep it, rub a little bit of vanilla or cedar on it, and then turn it loose by just opening the cage, that way it looses your scent. Any feed store can tell you who raises rabbits, and also, you can temporarily feed it raw broccoli, shredded carrots, sunflower seeds, and if you need more ideas, e-mail me.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Neither. Don't release it, but don't keep it as your personal pet, either.

Look online and/or in the phone book for a wildlife rehabilitation center. His injury needs to be treated, and he needs to be raised in a way that he could be released back into the wild as an adult, if necessary.

• 1 decade ago

Have a veterinarian look at the leg and fix the problem. But, yes, keep it in a nice place so it can live it's life in piece. Hell, you might even try breeding it to see if you get a weird new breed of rabbit featuring a cool head stripe.

• 1 decade ago

In the meantime you should keep it and wait till the leg is well already then you can let it free in somewhere that it is sure to survive cause there is a chance that it can still find its mom or dad

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.