I need some help with my GCSE resistant materials folder?

Before I begin, please do not tell me to ask my teacher as I'm on my Easter holiday here and my folder is due in first day back.

Okay, so, on the check list I was given it says: Processes of construction, does that mean how I made, for example a mortise and tenon joint?

Also, it says CAD (Computer Aided Design), for this could I just draw, let's say, a mortise machine using a computer?

Another few things that it says that I'm not sure about is where it says 'Use of jigs, aids' - what are they/could be? And 'Quality checks' - does that mean how I made sure that my project produced a high quality?

Last question, For my evaluation, could I include part of the 'Industrial practice' section, where you have to write notes on changes to enable my product to sell in the shop? If not, what do I do for that section?

Thank you for reading my question as it is fairly long (sorry!) and thank you in advance for any answers you might have :)

Favorite Answer

I do a similar, not identical, course.

For processes of construction, it would be all steps made to create.

That might start with:

select suitable material

make template

cut parts

make mortice and tenon joint

.............. paint/varnish

I favour a sort of flow diagram /mind map that shows the steps

CAD does mean computer aided design; but I suspect it hopes you used it in making ordesigning your item and that you'd spend a lot of time doing a CAD drawing of such a machine. If you did not have access to CAD at the design stage and still wanted to get CAD marks, I think I would try to do a CAD drawing of your item or part of it. (The wireframe option allows you to identify various things that you might not be able to see in the 3D solid item, for example) OR if you do not have access to CAD software, I think you should say what you think its advantages are (checking out all sorts of things before you actually make it) and perhaps research the web for some information where it is used. or perhaps you know someone who ha a kitchen designed using a CAD system? If they still have the designs you could include them and a picture of the finished kitchen. You could comment then that you wish you could have used CAD as you understand the benefits.

Any special tool or technique you used should be mentioned. it might be a jig saw, or some other special tool. It could be that you needed to make a joint that moved, or a special paint (eg to make sure it was child safe or non slip or weather proof)

Quality checks would include all testing - for example, is there a lid or a moving part or a lock. Have you tested these to make sure they work without sticking or knocking against another part. if you had some subjective aims 'eg attractive to children' then perhaps you could ask some children if they would give it a score out of 10for attractiveness. If it was a box designed as a case for something (eg an ipod) then you would need to make sure that the ipod fitted.

Your evaluation should more or less go back to what you wanted to achieve (eg a musical box to amuse a young person that plays when the lid is lifted)

So - have you made a musical box?

Does music play?

In particular does it play when the lid is lifted?

Would it be attractive to a child?

have you considered health and safety matters? (Change these questions to relate to your project)

If you did the same thing again, what, if anything, would you change? (Some students avoid mentioning any weaknesses in their project as they think the moderator won't notice. However, they like to see you have learned from the task and are actually pleased if you can identify improvements)

If your product was to sell in a shop, would the parts be cut differently (eg by a robot instead of a pupil with a saw?) Would one person do all the cutting, another all the joints - ie like a car where different teams do different parts - whereas for your project you probably did the whole thing! Did you sand by hand - would a sanding machine be used if it were produced?