What kind of sausage can I use in gumbo if I can't find andouille sausage?

I would love to here an answer from some one that if from Louisiana. I also can find file powder. It is okay to not have it. I'm from Kentucky, this will be my first time making gumbo. Will not adding bell pepper affect the tast. I'm allergic to them.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What kind of sausage can I use in gumbo if I can't find andouille sausage?

I would love to here an answer from some one that if from Louisiana. I also can find file powder. It is okay to not have it. I'm from Kentucky, this will be my first time making gumbo. Will not adding bell pepper affect the tast. I'm allergic to them.

Source(s): kind sausage gumbo 39 find andouille sausage: https://tr.im/fHi7V
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, i am from southeast Arkansas, we share a lot of the same foods as my Cajun brothers from my south. You can use regular old smoked sausage. I don't like green pepper, either. Have you looked at Kroger. We have andouille in our Kroger store here, next to the smoked sausage.

I love eating my way through New Orleans!

• 3 years ago

Type Of Sausage

• 1 decade ago

Any good quality smoked sausage will suffice, I choose not to use green pepper either, don't care for the flavor. I usually put a bannana pepper in or leave it out altogether. File powder will be in the spice rack at Wal Mart or any large grocery. No harm if you leave that out also.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Smoked sausage is fine, even the turkey is good. File powder is usually added at the last minute for flavor and it's to taste so it should be fine without it. It will still be good without the bell peppers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

what I tend to use is a ring of Hillshirefarms Smoked Beef Sausage and Bratwurst.

• 1 decade ago

I use Kielbasa. Smoked Polish Sausage will do

too.

• 1 decade ago

You can use a summer sausage or mild Italian.

• 1 decade ago

You could use spicy Italian or Linguicia or Smoked. :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.