What kind of sausage can I use in gumbo if I can't find andouille sausage?

I would love to here an answer from some one that if from Louisiana. I also can find file powder. It is okay to not have it. I'm from Kentucky, this will be my first time making gumbo. Will not adding bell pepper affect the tast. I'm allergic to them.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): kind sausage gumbo 39 find andouille sausage: https://tr.im/fHi7V

well, i am from southeast Arkansas, we share a lot of the same foods as my Cajun brothers from my south. You can use regular old smoked sausage. I don't like green pepper, either. Have you looked at Kroger. We have andouille in our Kroger store here, next to the smoked sausage.

I love eating my way through New Orleans!

Type Of Sausage

Any good quality smoked sausage will suffice, I choose not to use green pepper either, don't care for the flavor. I usually put a bannana pepper in or leave it out altogether. File powder will be in the spice rack at Wal Mart or any large grocery. No harm if you leave that out also.

Smoked sausage is fine, even the turkey is good. File powder is usually added at the last minute for flavor and it's to taste so it should be fine without it. It will still be good without the bell peppers.

what I tend to use is a ring of Hillshirefarms Smoked Beef Sausage and Bratwurst.

I use Kielbasa. Smoked Polish Sausage will do

too.

You can use a summer sausage or mild Italian.

You could use spicy Italian or Linguicia or Smoked. :)