Is a c-section really that bad?? I"m scared to death!!!?

I'm having a planned c-section in a couple weeks and I"m pretty much scared to death. Is it really all that bad?? I'm having one due to a uterus rupture while I was 5 months pregnant last year. I'm just really freaked out because my last c-section I was out for the whole thing b/c my baby didn't make it. Please help!!

Favorite Answer

Don't fret!!! I have had two. My first one was a breeze and the second a nightmare. I was at a hospital where they had interns with the Anesthesiologists. I was out for the whole thing and four days afterward because they began without giving me the spinal block because the intern messed up... Once they figured out that I was seriously feeling everything, they knocked me out.

So... this time I am scheduled to have a csec with my third baby. I hear ya on being scared. But... I am getting over it. This is what I did and maybe it can help you too... it is very simple, but sometimes hearing it from someone else makes it seem better.

I told my doc this time... different doc from the last one, different hospital too. I told him what my concern was. I just explained that this isn't my first rodeo - so to speak - and that when we get into the room, I need him to listen to me. If I say I can feel what is happening, then stop and figure it out. Don't continue thinking that I am full of it. I explained what had happened last time and that I really needed him to not treat me like I am some half wit who has never done this before.

He agreed and has been very sympathetic since.

I also weight the pros and cons....

I started having my second one naturally.. pushed in hard labor for five hours and couldn't get him past my pelvic spines. I know that I was sore 'down there' and I didn't even give birth that way!!! I couldn't imagine being cut and having stitches there... no thank you.. give me an incision I can see in an area that I can handle the pain better in, lol.

Plus.. you will get pain medication with a c-sec. So, as long as you don't let your pain meds lapse the first couple weeks, you don't have to deal with pain from... the incision... any tenderness 'down there' that you might have... hemmeroids... sore back... shoot-headaches, lol... nothing. So that is a small blessing there.

Also... if you are induced, you won't get the drugs that make you loopy, you can get through your surgery and the recovery (in most cases is about an hour so they can monitor you) and then you get to coherently see your baby. You won't be exhausted from labor and you will be fresh and ready to spend time and have fun and enjoy!

You also get a longer hospital stay to have time alone with your baby and have 24 hour help so you can sleep rather than going home to a bunch of visitors or a noisy house.

There are a lot of pros to having a c-sec. My first one was so nice. Literally ten minutes and I was done and took a lil nap while they cleaned my son up ( I had been in labor for 36 hours before they finally decided to do a c-sec because I was too worn out) and then I woke up and got my son and it was great!!!

C-Secs have a lot longer recovery time though, allow yourself 8 weeks or more to really let your body heal before throwing yourself into an exercise routine, or househole cleaning routine.

My advice... just let the doc know where you stand... let him know your experience and that you need him to be patient with you. Congrats on this lil one!!!! Take a deep breath and let yourself know that it is ok to be scared but that it will be ok and in a few weeks you will have a lil bundle of joy in your arms.

Good Luck to you. I wish you all the happiness in the world. :)

Do not fear. You will not feel a thing. C-section is becoming more and more common. You dont have to go thru labor pains and worry about trauma to the baby or yourself, the doctor will simple open you up and take it.. The procedure usually only takes 1/2 hour. Im sorry about your loss. I hope all goes well for you.

I had 2 c-sections and one normal vaginal birth.

A csection is not bad really, but it was hard o o anything after that for about 2 weeks whereas a vaginal birth you can pretty much do anything within a few minutes

Dont be scared- it's very common and generally safe for a major' surgery:)

I'm so sorry about your baby:(

God bless you

The c-section itself is very easy. You shouldn't feel a thing. Mine was unplanned and went very well.

It's not safer then childbirth as someone already responded. It may be easier during the birth but recovery will be much longer but you sound like you already know what to expect after the surgery.

Also, I'm very sorry about your previous loss.

I'm so sorry for you past loss! C-sections are definatly safe for the baby, I had a Emergency C section for twins and yes I will tell you it terrified me and I hated the recovery proccess but its over fast and than you have your beautiful baby. You'll be ok sweet heart and your baby will be too

• Amanda

Well in your case I don't think you should be scared. You have done it before and survived, and if you did go ahead and deliver vaginally I would think your case it would be much scarier! So I am glad you have the chance to deliver your baby safely. I am so sorry you lost a baby, I can't even imagine it.

if your doctor advised you to have a c-section, i wouldn't worry about it. i've had 2 vaginal births, and with my most recent was back at home taking care of a 2 year old 2 days later. with a c-section, your recovery won't be as fast. it's major surgery! but it's very routine major surgery, so i'm sure you'll be fine!!

• Zyggy

People handle surgeries differently. You are going to get people here answering saying that it was easy and that they were up and about, and then you can have people like my sister who was miserable. Please take into consideration that it is major surgery and don't try and push yourself too hard after it's done because you think you should be feeling better then what you are. Take it easy, let your body heal and congrats on your soon to be newborn!

I am so sorry for the loss of your baby.

Ask them if you can be awake and alert [if you choose and its safe] so that you can experience the birth!

You will be fine!

It is actually safer than natural childbirth. My wife and oldest daughter have had Cesarean sections. Considering your circumstances, it would probably be safest for you too. Pure cocoa butter used twice a day (morning and bedtime) on the scar AFTER it knits back together will fade the scar to almost nothing.