Ashley S asked in SportsWrestling · 1 decade ago

Why did the WWE make CM Punk tone down?

I remember punk from his ROH days and he was awesome. Now that he is in the WWE he just sucks (I hate to say it). They even made him stop using anaconda vice (because they knew nobody could get out of that). I hate it when the WWE doesn't push great wrestlers like CM Punk. Any one else agree?

Ok stratch the part about not being pushed

Best Answer

IM ACTUALLY SUPRISED NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE MAIN REASON HE WAS TONED DOWN AND IT IS TO PREVENT INJURIES.

PEOPLE COMPLAIN ALOT ABOUT VINCE BUT ONE THING HE DOES IS PROTECT HIS INVESTMENTS BY TONING THEM DOWN TO PREVENT THEM FROM BEING INJURED. HONESTLY WOULD YOU WANT TO RISK INJURING A BIG STAR WHO MAKES YOU TONS OF MONEY.

PUNKS STYLE ALONG WITH ALOT OF THE CRUISERWEIGHTS THE WWE BRING IN DO MOVES THAT ARE QUITE DANGEROUS AND THE RISK ISNT WORTH THE REWARD.

• Well, the WWE wrestling style is completely different from the style Punk wrestled back in RoH. You're not going to see the same type of wrestling in the indies as you'll see in the WWE, so Punk's had to adapt himself to the WWE way of wrestling.

Besides, I'm a huge Punk fan, but you can't say he hasn't been pushed by the WWE. Punk's the Money in the Bank winner, a former ECW Champ, and well on his way to being a big part of RAW or Smackdown. The only problem is that his character really hasn't been developed outside of straight-edge superstar, but nearly everyone in the WWE hasn't had their character developed well. They switched him over to the GTS because they like something with more of an impact, that sets him apart more.

Aaron B, he was talking about the Pepsi Plunge. I doubt the Anaconda Vice does that much to your knees.

The sad thing is, the way the WWE has treated its audience over the years, I don't think fans would have the capacity to appreciate a character like ROH Punk. The Anaconda Vice apparently reminds them of the Crossface (though guys like HBK, who have political power backstage, can use it anytime they want, apparently). I agree that this is retarded.

• CM Punk isn't getting pushed? I thouht he just won Money In The Bank.

Just look at it this way... The Pepsi Plunge, which is basicly a toprope pedigree. But somebody already uses the Pedigree in WWE, Triple H. That would just be bad for HHH and CM Punk, bad for HHH because anything from the toprope would be better and Punk for being accused for "copying".

Anaconda Vise... your right about "never going to get out of it" well rarely somebody will get out of it. But I just think it won't return because it reminds people of the Crippler Crossface. And... Vince just doesn't want the fans to think about Benoit at the moment... still!

But something more is missing from Punk in ROH.... His Mic Skills! WWE doesn't allow him to get on the mic that often. But anybody who has watched his stuff from ROH knows he has great mic skills.

He might not be as good as he once was... but is stil great none the less.

The WWE brings in talented stars & makes them tone down because they don't want their current stars to be shown up by newbies!

When Paul London first came to WWE he wasn't allowed to use his superior-to-Kidman Shooting Star Press.

I'm surprised they let Marcus Cor Von use the POUNCE! But it wasn't as effective looking as in TNA.

CM Punk had a whole lot of great moves in ROH but he couldn't use them so he used some Japanese wrestlers finishers instead:

Anaconda Vice (used by Hiroyoshi Tenzan)

Go To Sleep (used by KENTA)

CM Punk said that the anaconda vice hurt his knees too much. I think that's bullshit!

• in wwe they dont let wrestlers do moves that can actually injure people. WWE is toning down everything because all the injuries they have had recently.

now that you mention it, i haven't seen him use the anaconda vise in a long time. wwe is so stupid when it comes to some **** like that (banning of specific moves)

yeh

he had many great moves in ROH

now they make him look like a rising star while he's a legend in the making.

he did get pushed he won the ECW title and money in the bank

Source(s): NWO!!