Is the soap to wash fruits really safe to eat?

I buy alot of grapes from the grocery store and wonder how much chemicals/fertilizer are on the them. I just wash them

with plain water but my friend says i should use a special soap.

i don't like the idea of washing my food with soap.

is it safe to eat?

Favorite Answer

Make sure you rinse the food for a full 30 seconds. One brand said to rinse in hot water. I choose to not buy that product. I went with veggie wash and it rinses clean with cool water. If you can afford it try the new sonic(?) cleaner. That way you would be sure there is no residue. But the veggie wash works well for us. Oh, and I know how gross the grapes can taste if you don't wash them with the cleaner!!!! EAWWWW! Plain water does not remove a lot of the chemicals, waxes and organic crud. The cleaners are formulated to leave no residue. Even organic foods should be cleaned before eating.

By the way the "government" thinks it's ok to have some levels of pesticides in your system. Are you going to trust that what they allow growers to use is safe for your body??? Dish soap will leave a residue on your food and does not remove ick as well as specialized cleaners. Honestly, the food tastes better when cleaned properly.

Grapes are easily cleaned in a bowl with veggie cleaner. Just swish them around in the suddsy water for 30 sec then rinse the bunches and/or fill the bowl with clean water a few times while swishing them around. It's pretty quick. My 4 year old can do it by himself.

• Holly

The soap made to wash fruit is really just a surfactant-----as are all soaps. Most chemicals used on fruit are oily so it doesn't wash off with rain. So using something that helps to rinse away the oil is better than simply using water for that reason.

I just use room-temperature water in a large bowl with some dish detergent and swish the fruit, then rinse with cold water. Much cheaper than the special fruit soap and just as safe.

Ok, most of these people are wrong and obviously don't read anything. What your friend is talking about is a plant-based cleaner for produce (brands: Fit and Veggie Wash). You buy them in spray form in the produce section of the supermarket. They get off 98% more chemical pesticide residue and dirt than water alone. While I'm not too afraid to consume dirt on my food, I am concerned about the chemicals. Not to mention, things like grapes and apples have added wax to the outside. Who wants to eat wax? The sprays get that stuff off. All you have to do is spray the fruits and veggies that you normally was with water, and then rinse the spray off. It easily rinses off, so you don't have to worry about residue from the cleaner itself. Plus, it's made from plants anyway, so it's better then the pesticides that you'd be consuming otherwise. It's less than $5 for a bottle, and well worth the price.

You can buy organic fruit and veggie wash from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, etc. and there might be some available at a regular grocery store as well. These are safe to use as long as you wash it off after washing your fruits and veggies. I wouldn't use them on grapes though - they're too little and you'd spent too long trying to wash them.

I'm sure if it is a soap made for washing fruit it is safe to eat.

They do have sprays on them as all fruit does unless it states otherwise. I would just wash them as you have been. I don't do the soap issue!!! One more item on the grapes in my eyes.

well if its a soap to clean fruit it probaly is why dont you go look at it and see what is made to make it. It's probably made out of organic stuff.

Plus you wash it off.

NO! soup contain harmfull chemical.. and it is not safe 2 use in fruits or any kind of food.. all u can do is 2 wash it very thoroughly...

They make a spray called Fit that washes fruits and veggies very well

• Missy

Supposedly, that soap is safer than the chemicals on the fruits, but I would be cautious.