I am afraid of my five year old son!?

He throws fits of rage and often attacks me causing injury. He will kick, hit, scratch, bite, pull hair... whatever he can do to hurt anything in his way when he is mad. He completely disrespects me and often spits in my face when I tell him to do something. He never listens and is not affected by discapline. I... show more He throws fits of rage and often attacks me causing injury. He will kick, hit, scratch, bite, pull hair... whatever he can do to hurt anything in his way when he is mad. He completely disrespects me and often spits in my face when I tell him to do something. He never listens and is not affected by discapline. I have tried rewarding good behavior and discaplining bad behavior. I have taken everything away from him and all he does is throw more fits of rage. He'll put holes in walls and literally makes me fear for my safety. Today I had to lock myself and my daughter in my bedroom because he was chucking wooden blocks everywhere. He has been examined by a psychologist who tells me he "has some issues that we should work on." OBVIOUSLY!!! I need help now, not next year!! Has anyone else experienced this?? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Update: I need to add a couple of things... first of all, this is not a situation where I have just set back to watch it get out of control. I have taken the steps that I needed to take when I needed to take them. The problem is that the people I have sought help through have not known how to help me. Please do not judge... show more I need to add a couple of things... first of all, this is not a situation where I have just set back to watch it get out of control. I have taken the steps that I needed to take when I needed to take them. The problem is that the people I have sought help through have not known how to help me. Please do not judge me and say I don't know how to handle my kid or that I'm a bad parent. I have never had a problem until a few months ago. Gavin has always been a very hyper child and while many parents would just go and drug their kids because of it, I refused to. I do not want my child in a comatose state simply because he's overactive. However, when he started exhibiting these behaviors, I knew I couldn't allow it to go on. Secondly, my husband is not his real dad, I left his bio when he was just a year old. He was exposed to violence, but I'm not sure that is the cause. If anything it would be in the genes. Lastly, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to hit my child. That will only provoke him.
Update 2: I guess it would also be important to note that this is not constant behavior. I have friends who have not seen him have an outburst and think I'm crazy when I tell them how he acts. He is often a very sweet child. He is not whiny and has a HUGE personality. Many times during the day he is very helpful, will... show more I guess it would also be important to note that this is not constant behavior. I have friends who have not seen him have an outburst and think I'm crazy when I tell them how he acts. He is often a very sweet child. He is not whiny and has a HUGE personality. Many times during the day he is very helpful, will clean his room, or help with laudnry without me even asking. He is a very bright child, always uses his manners (except for in fits of rage), and has several friends. I did not post this question so you could tell me I should whip my kid into shape, I wrote it because I would like some insight... maybe someone else has seen or experienced something similar and could tell me what the diagnosis was (if any). I don't have a bad child, my family is not the issue... there is obviously an underlying issue, and I'd like to understand it. Thanks!