Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

potty training??

I'm trying topotty train my almost two year old daughter. She will go when she gets up in the morning but that it. I need some advice in what to do to make her wanna "potty" as she calls it.

Favorite Answer

For my daughter I researched and found a safe stool with sides for the toilet so she could do things on her own. http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Child-Corporation-TPS-...

She loved the independence and was completely stable. This stool made all the difference and was well worth it.

Hope this helps.

basic reward system. Find something she really wants. We did stickers at first but that didn't last long. The first child we were successful with Freeze Pops every time she went to the potty (and never gave it when she didn't and not even for an attempt.) Once you get pee down then reward her for poo only. she was potty trained by age 2 1/2.

The second child loves chocolate. So we give chocolate mini bars each time she goes. Now we only reward her for poo. 2 1/2 and potty trained.

By the way, the first time she actually does it herself without you prompting, have a pee party (no you don't have to invite anyone). Jump up and down as if you won the lotto and make it a special day. keep reminding her what a big girl she is for making potty the whole day. Don't get too discouraged if she has some setbacks. Every kid has setbacks. Let your husband also have a potty party in front of her (major hugs and kisses, jumping up and down.) And everytime after that, EACH POTTY, you have to have you and your husband give her verbal praise!!!! "You are a big girl now! i'm so proud of you!"

Find out what she likes!!! don't get mad if she makes a mistake. She'll be more afraid of telling you and sit around in wet underpants. Keep it positive. When she has an accident, give a big hug and say "that's ok. You'll do it next time."

And patience. Have patience. IT WILL HAPPEN. When she goes for the first time, take her to the store (we go to Toys R Us) and i let them pick their first set of panties. I bought three packs. They've got all kinds-dora, mermaid, tinkerbell, little pony, etc.

(P.S. Oxyclean for poo stains in the panties. Or if they're really bad, just throw them out.) Daycare takes the 2 year olds to the potty EVERY 2 hours when they are learning. You'll have to do this to. I know it sounds tiring. But she probably doesn't have the strength to control her bladder yet. You are working up to that point.)

My daughter is 3 1/2 and potty trained since age 3. I've had the problem of her not wanting to go potty at certain times, cuz she feels she doesn't have to. I made a sticker chart for that purpose. Since she was already potty trained, I had spots for 'no wet underpants' during naptime and bedtime, and we would put big stickers in those spots if she did ok. I also made spots for 'using the potty before naptime, before bath, before leaving the house', etc., and the pack of stickers I had gotten had some smaller stickers I used for those spots. Since my daughter has been so into stickers for quite awhile, she was definitely more willing to at least sit and try when I asked her to, so she could get a sticker on her chart. That has helped us a lot, and now she doesn't give me such a hard time about using the potty at specific times.

I potty trained 3 kids. If she can hold it during the night then she should be ready. I put them in underwear or panties during the day. Make them try often and ask more often. If she has an accident don't freak out, most likely she will not like it either and will soon learn to make it to the potty. Also use a potty chair in the room she is in and as she gets t he hang of it move the chair closer and closer till it is in the bathroom. Hope this helps good luck.

• Maggie

I have found that you can't make a toddler go potty until they are ready. I have 4 kids who all trained at different times. My youngest is 3 years and 2 months. He refused to even sit on the potty until 2 weeks ago when he decided to do it. He has been trained since then, only one accident. I have no idea what triggered him to finally do it. My other kids did it gradually. He did it all in one day. Who knows! I have read that in European countries kids are trained much earlier than in the USA. You may try to track down a book written there to see what they are doing different. good Luck!

Maybe she just isn't ready. If she doesn't know she needs to go before she goes, it's hard to really use the potty.

I know some people set a timer and have their child sit on the potty every 30 minutes or so. You can also make a sticker chart or even use candy as a reward for going potty.

you cant make her go i have a 3 year old taht still wont go so be glad she is doing that she is not even 2 yet so push her let her go on her time and give her candy everytime she goes soon she will want candy and will go potty just to get the candy but dont push her just cuz she is almost 2 doesnt mean she is to be potty trained she will be out of diapers before too long just give it time and work with her

Make a chart. Every time she goes... let her draw a smiley face in one of the squares. Children love to draw and she will want to go just so she can draw a smiley face. it worked with me.