Why are the Swiss guard chosen to protect the Pope?

I have heard before that the Swiss military special ops were the best in the world, and so mean, that after W.W.2, the U.S. made them promise to never fight against us, or our allies ever again, and assigned them the special duty of protecting the Pope. That was their new job.

Is this story true? Also, why do they wear such ridiculous uniforms? I mean no disrespect, but I have seen clowns dressed up in the same suit?????

Would someone plz clarify this strange land called Switzerland for me?

Favorite Answer

The Swiss Guard has been protecting the pope since the early 1500's. They were mercenaries who obtained a great reputation for dedication and ability to accomplish great missions. There is a statue in Lucerne, Switzerland of a dying lion that is a memorial to a great battle of the Swiss mercenaries, one that was a total loss for them, yet upheld their legendary status. In order to be a Swiss guard, there are many requirements, such as being a male, Swiss citizenship, at least 19, no older than 30 and at least 5'9. They are highly trained, due to the 1981 assasination attempt on Pope John Paul II, in hand to hand and weapons. The uniforms are, as another stated, ceremonial.

Switzerland is my favorite country. I have travelled there several times and enjoy the people. The languages are German, Italian, French and English. You can get away with English almost everywhere in Switzerland.

historic past shows the Pope and the Vatican being attacked by utilizing invaders. There are some those who hate the Pope and ought to like no longer some thing extra to work out an unprotected Pope. John Paul II traveled a lot less possibility-free and then changed into shot. After that they created the bullet data automobile he traveled round in. I were given to work out it up close in international adolescents Day in Denver, 1993. Jesus' dominion extends over the earth by potential of the preaching and sacramental ministry of the Church (Mt 28:18-20). i imagine it changed into major that the Vatican state be sovereign so as now to not be less than the effect of any united states of america or secular state.

The Swiss Guards were formed in about 1500, and were selected for their fighting prowess at the time. They wear a traditional uniform that was supposedly designed by Michaelangelo.

• James

Switzerland has not been into a war since 1815, and I think the most neutralist country in the world. There guards are also well trained.

Because of there good history, they seem no danger and are allow to protect the Pope.

No one has more wealth than the Swiss banks and the Vatican....most of the jewels and money on earth. It is the only pure thing left that the Swiss guards should protect the Vatican wealth...like unto like.

like who else could u trust? Iran? USA? China?