Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Should Jimmy Carter be prosecuted under the Logan Act?

Former President Jimmy Carter should be prosecuted under the Logan Act for attempting to negotiate with a terrorist entity against the wishes of the Federal government. As you know, Jimmy Carter met with Hamas a terrorist group. See link. http://watch.org/showart.php3?idx=103171&rtn=/inde...

In case you don't know what the Logan Act is, here is a link for you in PDF http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33265.pdf

or you can google Logan Act.

Please tell me your own thoughts in regards to Carter. Thanks everyone!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes former President Jimmy Carter should be prosecuted under the Logan Act for attempting to negotiate with a terrorist entity against the wishes of the Federal government. Carter has stated his plans to meet with Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal, who hasn't had any official contact with an American in two years. Hamas, under Mashaal's leadership has been responsible for war against Israel and the training of terrorists to fight and kill American soldiers in Iraq. That the former President Carter would even consider meeting with such an enemy against the express objections of the U.S. State Department is a crime against every American citizen.

The Logan Act was passed in 1799 and makes it a felony for any United States citizen "wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

• 1 decade ago

thank you for letting us know about this !

I'd say (but not with any glee), YES.

He's old enough to know better.

I was very pleased when he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, but since then he seems to have changed some views, and has gotten too free with his influence. It is entirely inappropriate for a former US President to be officially undercutting the policies of the current administration. He should have no more influence than the average citizen; and he should refrain from using any influence beyond that.

AND he should've written the truth in his book, rather than regurgitating the standard lies spread by the anti-Israeli Arabs. (notice I'm not saying all Arabs are bad !)

Habitat For Humanity was a great idea; he should've stuck with that.

What he is doing now could even be called treason.

Maybe if we revoke his passport, that would help?

just my 2 cents' worth --

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The meeting originally was to include a delegation of world leaders, including former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and former South African President Nelson Mandela, but the group issued a statement saying it was postponing its visit.

The point is that Jimmy Carter is not just any random ordinary American citizen lobbying foreign heads of state—he is an ex-president lobbying foreign heads of state.

• 1 decade ago

Benjamin Franklin negotiated with England and France, two countries who were considered "terrorists" in the 1700's and 1800's. He had no governmental authority.

Thomas Jefferson was an ambassador to France and England, "negotiating" with both countries to promote the "colonies". Jefferson had no "governmental" authority.

Any citizen of the United States has a "right" to speak up for what they believe and "negotiate". The United States government has no "right" to deny.

If I, as a United States citizen, want to "meet" with the Hamas, or any other political entity, my rights as a U.S. citizen to speak, are protected by the U.S. Constitution.

Jimmy Carter and I have the same rights given to every U.S. citizen.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Not sure? Would this act prosecute other former US presidents for supporting Cuban terrorists or is this deemed acceptable under Logan (unless you don't call Orlando Bosch's blowing up airliners and hospitals in his Cuban homeland acts of terrorism)?

• 1 decade ago

I think Nixon and Henry Kissinger negotiated with communist China in 1970s' to form alliance to go against the Soviet Union during cold war era.

• Phil F
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

One would hope that Carter was not plotting harm to the US when he met with some leaders of the Hamas. While techinically he might fall under this law, let's get real. Carter means well regardless of how you view this move of his. We DO need someone to act as a go between with these guys. Right?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Should he?

Since the young one were having communication problems with their own elders.

Maybe they can communicate better with him to get their message through.

Having an office boy to help out in delivering the mail.

We see no postman out there.

Luke 9.25,55-56,60

What do you think?

Source(s): decoded from the missing x-files.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.