Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Emergency Flights?

I have an Emegency. I nned to get to Flint, MI to Pensacola, FL on the soonest flight. I figure thats in abot 5 hours. Can anyone tell me if they still do emergency flights and if they are cheaper?

Favorite Answer

Emergency flights are not offered, but bereavement ones are. What you can do, is book the earliest flight you can get (even if it is not the first available flight), head to the airport immediately, and explain your situation to the carrier's ticketing agents. Instruct them that you would like to fly standby on the first available flight. (Please bear in mind this means you will have to carry on your luggage, and not check it). Standby is kind of like playing the lottery, but in your particular situation, it definitely won't hurt. You will not lose out on your confirmed ticketed flight, this will always be an alternative for you, but you may get lucky, and get called for an earlier flight.

Source(s): Experience. I'm a weekly traveler of 3+ years.

Emergency flights... no. Bereavement fares... yes, depending on the airline, and they are not usually any cheaper than other fares--just more flexible if you need to change the return date, for example; proof from hospital or funeral home required.

Otherwise... use http://www.bookingbuddy.com/ for either round trip--if you know your return date already, or one-way if you're not sure. It will search Hotwire and Priceline which are both good for last-minute, as well as all the airlines and consolidators for the best last-minute offer for you. It's good in your situation because it saves you having to find and type over and over again for each source you want to check.

I am not sure what you refer to as emergency flights, but you can always buy a ticket the same day, or maybe even at the airport itself, but of course it will be expensive.

You can order the ticket by phone or online. Good luck.