silent_stefan asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How much voltage can a small cat withstand?

I need to train my kitten to stay off of the kitchen counter. I'm thinking that getting a tazer will do the trick. I understand that tazers are completely safe for humans, but I'm wondering how much voltage can a small cat (6 months old) withstand. Will a normal tazer have too much voltage? If so, I'll need to modify it to emit a lower shock. Serious answers only please.

Favorite Answer

Wowww don't do that. Bad call. Try using a squirt bottle filled with water instead, or putting aluminum foil on the counter top when you're not in the kitchen. Cats don't like aluminum foil, and after a while she'll stop jumping on there.

If you're even THINKING about using a tazer on a kitten then you need reporting the to the animal cruelty people. Honestly, how can you even think of such a thing!!!!!

If you don't want your cat on your kitchen counter then keep the kitchen clean and free of food smells that might attract the kitten to jump up.

A simple way to teach you kitten not to jump up is to hiss at it and clap your hands (just once) and that will do the trick and teach the kitten that jumping on the kitchen tops is a no-no.

But to think of firing an electrical current through the poor little thing is ridiculous. Cats are supposed to receive kindness from their owners, not torture.

You can also try rubbing a cut onion on your kitchen counter. Cats hate onion so it won't go up there if it can smell onion.

I'm sorry but using a tazer or a shock collar or ANYTHING like that is inhumane.

Squirt your kitty with a bit of water every time she goes on the counter instead. Trust me it's less cruel and it worked with both my cats. It's not hard especially when they're at a young age.

When you're not in the kitchen, put something on the counter that your cat wont like (maybe spray some bad smelling stuff on it or something)

Dont taze it though cuz thats just cruel

Oh c'mon, don't do that please. That is totally cruel.

My cat also jumps up on the dining table and kitchen counters. We don't like it and are slowly training him to stop by firmly telling him no. You have to persistent and patient. This didn't work with my cat, but I heard a vet recommend it. Get a spray bottle and fill it with some water and lemon juice. When your cat jumps on the counter, tell him "no!" and spray him (avoiding his face and butt of course). Many cats hate the citrus smell so this might deter him. In my opinion, a tazer is completely unnecessary and inhumane though.

Not that I'm recommending this. But you should be looking at amperage or joules, not voltage. Seriously though, don't taze your cat. Also, civilian tazers are timed out at 30 seconds instead of 5 like the police's. Bad for kitty. Don't do it.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT!! No matter how much voltage it is it can still harm your animal. Try getting a spray bottle and spay your kitten every time he/she gets on the counter. I would hate for cats to be afraid of water because of us but how can you compare this idea to shocking the poor little thing. I hope you reconsider. I can almost grantee you that the spray water idea will work.

GOOD LUCK

Please excuse me for saying this but are you NUTS? Is your kitten on death row and was it sentenced to die by electrocution? Why don't you just use a water bottle. Also you can buy a couple of fresh lemons and peel them and put the lemon peels on the counters. Cats hate the smell of fresh lemons or pretty much any fresh citrus.

sydnie

Source(s): asked vet

hahaha....i clicked on this because i thought it might be about kittens nibbling on wires or poking around power bars...the fact that this thought even crossed someone's mind is hilarious...just use a spray bottle man

another thing in addition to above would be the sticky side of tape or at least get a shock collar not a taser.