Best ACCORDIAN player ever?

Just for laughs, is there such a person? This is ONE question I've never seen posted here!

This was SUPPOSED to be a ha-ha funny thing, but then you guys had to go and turn it into something serious. Now I'm stuck with looking for a best answer AND try and honestly be fair about it...OOOOOOOOOOOH! Thanks SOOOOO much R&P!

Alright, in all fairness Wierd Al and Steve Urkel and Minnie Pearl are probably the most popular accordion players most recognized by an American audience. I live in South Texas and there's no shortage of accordion sounds on any day around here. I am of Czech and German decent and there was no accordion shortage around our family reunions in the 60's and 70's either. What I'm saying here is, I've heard some pretty good talent and I'm sure we've ALL heard NO talent!

*BONUS* If you can find a link for your submission to help educate the public (and me) as to who I should bestow this great honor of Best Accordion Player ever upon, it would really help to clarify my decision.

I absoulutey HAVE to share these with you...

*UN-FREAKIN-BELIEVEABLE*

Steve Jordan, Carlos Santana & Jerry Garcia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhX9DJIZ1NU

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

Can't find a cut of Bruce Hornsby.

Finntroll - Midnattens Widunder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvAEfxqbLk

Youtube thumbnail

(Dude, that's some wicked stuff! EEK!)

• KENMAN
    Favorite Answer

tejano musician flaco jiminez...he's workedwith the mavericks, bob dylan and the texas tornadoes (just to mention a few)...

and bruce springsteen's organist, danny federici, ain't no slouch with the squeeze box either...

Don't know who the best one is but Bruce Hornsby is probably the most famous musician that uses it in a lot of his music.

Also Nirvana Bassist Krist Novoselic played the accordion on MTV Unplugged Live in New York in 1993.

Laughs, you say? Let me introduce you to Esteban (Steve) Jordan. Known as "El Parche" (the patch) because he's missing an eye and wears an eyepatch, he's been an accordian legend since he was a little kid. Back in the seventies he was called the Jimi Hendrix of the accordian because of his use of flanges and effect pedals. His work is a pastich of traditional Norteno music and searing (can you say that about an accordian?) rock-style solos. Last I heard he was living in the hills outside of Austin and comes down occasionally to play and record.

The accordian is an unfairly maligned instrument. A good Cajun or Zydeco player can knock your socks off.

That said, your question brings to mind the old "Farside" cartoon where it shows a line of people passing through the Pearly Gates with St. Peter saying "Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp". Below it shows a line of people entering Hades, and Satan is saying "Welcome to Hell, here's your accordian".

Yuri Lemeshev from Gogol Bordello plays a mean accordian

Steve Urkel or Wierd Al.

Weird Al is actually really good. The band the Zydepunks have a good accordion player, but they're fairly unknown.

Finntroll has a pimp accordian solo on there album Midnattens Widunder. I never thought of the accordian as a metallic instrument, but its really cool.

Weird Al Yankovic.

The only one that comes to mind is Steve Urkel

Weird Al Yankovic

NP: "My Michelle" - Guns N' Roses