How much does it cost to run a grocery store?

i doubt anyone on this site knows,but is there a site i can go to to see cost to buy stocks of food and renting a building for the store plus other things.If it matters i live in Missouri.Also give me simply answers(or a link) because i m only doing this for a project in my entrepreneurship class RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Grocery stores have very slim margins.

The BEST thing you can do is to look at a Publicly

Traded Company, take thier Cash Flow and Income Statements, (for example : Sales Minus Costs of Goods Sold", and divide by the number of stores.

Here is some financial statistics for Kroger Foods (the largest public grocery store) :

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=KR

Now all you need to do is find the number of stores they own.

Here is data, once again from Yahoo Finance, on their key statistics :

"As of February 2, 2008, it operated approximately 2,486 supermarkets and multi-department stores, 696 of which had fuel centers; and approximately 782 convenience stores and 394 fine jewelry stores. The Kroger Co. was founded in 1883 and is based in Cincinnati, Ohio."

So if you take a lot of the numbers in the link, and divide by 2,486, you'll get your averages.

For a project, this is probably a good method of comparrison.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your project goes!!!

:)

A nice-quality groceery store cake is going to run you probably between $150-250 for a 3-tier cake that can feed 150-200 people. Here's a tip: get your cake at Safeway. I'm not kidding- their cakes are prettier and better-tasting thant any of the fancy bakeries out here in Denver. We get all our birthday cakes from Safeway, and I've decided to do the whole cupcake tower instead of a traditional wedding cake, so Safeway will be making my cupcakes. Their icing is so good, and the cake is always really fresh and moist. I haven't had a bad one from there yet! Plus, they are very affordable- since I'm doing cupcakes, my situation is a bit different, but they quoted me 60 cents per cupcake, and that is with a little flower decoration on top of each one. For the 150 cupcakes I'm going to need, that is only $90, which is actually $60 less than what I originally budgeted for cake!! Here's where not to get your cake: Wal-Mart (I love Wal-Mart as a store, but their icing tastes like lard); Albertson's (ditto the lard-icing, plus they never taste fresh); King Soopers (I don't know if you have King Soopers where you are, but they are a Kroger store, so if you have any Kroger affiliates, they probably all use the same bakery recipes, and it's not good!!) I also hear Costco has amazing cakes for a great price, but I don't know because I don't have a membershp there.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

i doubt anyone on this site knows,but is there a site i can go to to see cost to buy stocks of food and renting a building for the store plus other things.If it matters i live in Missouri.Also give me simply answers(or a link) because i m only doing this for a project in my entrepreneurship class...

Source(s): cost run grocery store: https://biturl.im/g66DQ

my friend have quick food stop,which is less inventory than grocery store,told me to start this kind of business you need $150,000.so a good running grocery store will cost you about $200,000/- with all the inventory inside.

another friend is running a dollar store,last august they taken over with their family friend,almost empty,and they paid eight thousand and the monthly rent is $1600+1400 some kind of tax they have to pay +electricity and water all together $4000/-

to pay that much rent you must make at least ten thousand/month .so in the beginning they just keep away the rent,from every day income and what ever they make over, they keep on rolling the profit for filling the inventory.now it has the inventory of about thirty thousand and if i need to take over that business they will not sell as it, less than forty to forty five thousand,just to take over.but now i think they have seven days a week to open,so at least every day net average profit is for sure $400 to 500/day .it is good earning but very hard work,without any break.they do not hire any help just because the they have to pay the employee and he or she may steal.so both husband and wife are working,one stay and other go and shop for the store,in bulk.

now they say grocery store business is good if you have helpers in your family whom you can trust and take a break and give them break to enjoy the money.

good luck

Source(s): learn from my friend's experience
  • Jana

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aw5XD

Number of tiers usually doesn't matter, it is about number of servings. A plain grocery store cake should run you less than a dollar a serving.

1

Source(s): Wholesale Distributors http://WholesaleDirectories.latis.info/?3y3b

Hi,

And best of luck with your project.

In the UK, in a rural town with a poulation of about 8000 folks, a freind of mine opened a small shop.

It sold groceries, booze, canned stuff, tobacco, everything down to home made bhajis & cotton buds.

It lasted about 2 years, as the property rental, overheads, debt to his suppliers etc drove him mad, and out of business !

Don't try it !

Bob