Non-Christians... Why Do You Think I Am Not Intelligent For Believing?

When I see a question about Christians/Bible information, it's almost guaranteed that there will be a number of people answering with statements such as... 'Christians do not have the intelligence to see the truth' ... 'They're (Christians) tricked into believing fictitious... show more When I see a question about Christians/Bible information, it's almost guaranteed that there will be a number of people answering with statements such as...

'Christians do not have the intelligence to see the truth' ...
'They're (Christians) tricked into believing fictitious garbage'....

Those of course are tame versions of what people say.. It's usually very nasty and rude... suggesting that Christians are simply 'stupid' or not smart enough to see the truth, etc..

I am just curious why it is that these people must be downright rude and mean instead of just suggesting that they don't particularly believe it, etc. (Or, really, if you don't believe it and the question is directed to Christians, why answer with a nasty statement?)..

I get the impression sometimes that people that are not strong in their own belief (such as belief there is no God, etc).. Can try to "act" high and mighty by being rude, nasty and mean.. Is this the case?
Update: After reading some answers, I should apologize for sounding like I was generalizing about ALL non-Christians. It's amazing how easy it is to mean to say one thing and have it come out like you're generalizing and saying a whole group is doing something wrong.. CERTAINLY not what I meant.. I appreciate... show more After reading some answers, I should apologize for sounding like I was generalizing about ALL non-Christians. It's amazing how easy it is to mean to say one thing and have it come out like you're generalizing and saying a whole group is doing something wrong.. CERTAINLY not what I meant..

I appreciate a lot of the answers I have read so far.. It's always good to hear thoughts/opinions from both sides.. as well as realize that there are a lot of people out there who aren't really thinking the worst.. etc.. :)