Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

is it okay to have a "cheat" day when you are dieting?

i've been on a diet for a while, i'm going into the marines and i'm in good shape now but i want to be optimal, i have been "good" for about 2 and a half months now. i worked out like mad yesterday, and i'm sore as hell. i want to just sit home and eat whatever the **** i want. but i feel like it slows me down?! do you think having one cheat day really can effect you? or is it all in my head?

• Gilly
    Best Answer

yes enjoy yourself!

Yes, it is good to have one cheat day. To me, dieting is like a part time job, and we all need a day off occasionally from work. An occasional cheat day will relieve the pressure.

Have a 'treat' day. I'm on a diet at the moment, and I have Friday as my treat day. I don't eat crap all day but the parents have fish and chips on Friday so I just have that with them, and say, a sneaky chocolate bar or something little :P It keeps you going!

If you don't have the occasional treat or treat day, your body will crave more for the 'bad things' such as chocolate and then you are more likely to give in.

Good luck!

Source(s): me

I've found that when I'm dieting, if I pick one day during the week that I don't have to diet, I don't feel so stressed about food and I don't crave it more, knowing that I can have it on that day. One cheat day is a great idea, just don't over-do it to where you feel sick. Good luck!

A trainer at the local gym told me that when you're dieting one day of regular eating every week or ten days stops your metabolism slowing down in self defence which makes it very hard to lose weight.

I'm English and we have a saying only losers cheat,even if they win,now if you said f*ck it i train hard all week and I'm having a day off,to do what the f*ck i want and to eat what the f*ck i want,then that's OK,the next day only do half the training you normally do,Then you wont ache 3rd day back to normal training, 4th day when your bodies relaxed, if you can push out a little bit more,then you have caught up and lost nothing, and did not cheat,and the heads clear.

Bill Phillips (Body for Life) always taught that one day a week was perfect for cheating on your diet. It keeps you on the path, and it also allows your body to 'think' that it's getting enough food that it can let some weight go.

cheating is a good idea, as long as you workout the next day and remember to stretch after, will help with your sores!!

and yes on cheating day get lots of fluids in (water), will help u cheat a little less:)

yes of course, u have the treat yoourself soomtimes and wen u have go the body u want ur body might not be amuned to the junk food and den u cant eat it

Reward day sounds better.

i think that if i have a cheat day it reaLLY RUINS MY DIET.