SMTP problems free yahoo.co.uk account ~ is it meant to work or have Yahoo withdrawn the service?

I have a free Yahoo uk account. This has worked fine for years, and we have appreciated that yahoo.co.uk users had free POP3/SMTP. POP3 still working fine, but over the last few days I have been unable to send via SMTP. - Is this a change in Yahoo policy they forget to tell us about? - or is this... show more I have a free Yahoo uk account. This has worked fine for years, and we have appreciated that yahoo.co.uk users had free POP3/SMTP.

POP3 still working fine, but over the last few days I have been unable to send via SMTP.

- Is this a change in Yahoo policy they forget to tell us about?

- or is this broken Yahoo infrastructure? (The SMTP has always been a little bad, but not like this).

- Do I need to change the SMTP settings; eg to plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com. Currently I get the same failure (repeated requests for password) whether I use plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com, smtp.mail.yahoo.com, or smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk, and whether I use SSL or not.

At the moment, it looks as if gmail is the easiest answer. Is Yahoo just trying to destroy the brand so Microsoft isn't interested?
Update: Thanks for the responses. I am now managing to send a few emails using smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk (SSL port 465). POP3 (through pop.mail.yahoo.com) still seems to be working fine. So it appears the SMTP service is just very poor rather than removed. I guess the non-plus service is just even more minus than before;... show more Thanks for the responses. I am now managing to send a few emails using smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk (SSL port 465). POP3 (through pop.mail.yahoo.com) still seems to be working fine. So it appears the SMTP service is just very poor rather than removed. I guess the non-plus service is just even more minus than before; especially the free SMTP/POP that UK users have but has been denied US users for some time.

The plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com is probably only for plus users, as you suggest? (though plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com is working even though I'm not on plus). I've tried using plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com as a setting and never got a good connection.

I could use ypops. I hadn't thought of that, but it does seem to be an extra thing to think about. I will choose gmail over ypops.
Update 2: I've just changed from SSL to 'TLS if available', and port 587. This is on smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk. Suddenly it is working fairly reliably and fast after days of complete rubbish. I used to find smtp.mail.yahoo.com slightly better than .co.uk, but now it seems to be dead. Maybe Yahoo have tightened up... show more I've just changed from SSL to 'TLS if available', and port 587. This is on smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk. Suddenly it is working fairly reliably and fast after days of complete rubbish.

I used to find smtp.mail.yahoo.com slightly better than .co.uk, but now it seems to be dead. Maybe Yahoo have tightened up their 'free' rules, and now provide nothing for .com, and no SSL for .co.uk. If so, it would have been helpful to tell us.
0