8th grade history?

i need to know short (up to two sentinces maximum) definitions of the following topics. Missoui compromise 1820, compromise of 1850, kansas nebraska act, bleeding kansas, brooks sumner, republican party, dred scott, lincoln-douglas debates, raid on harpers ferry, election of 1860

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Missouri compromise: Compromise of 1820 that allowed

Missouri to be admitted as a slave state and Maine as a free state. Slavery was banned above the Missouri Compromise line.

Compromise of 1850: Proposed by the "Great Pacificator" Henry Clay, the eight resolutions of this compromise admitted California as a free state, specified that slavery would continue (though slave trade would not) in the District of Columbia, strengthened provisions for the capture of fugitive slaves, and kept the Federal government from interfering in interstate slave trade.

Kansas-Nebraska Act: Written by Stephen Douglas in 1854, the Kansas Nebraska Act sought to resolve the status of the Louisiana Purchase by dividing it in two: Kansas and Nebraska. Following the entry of California and Oregon into the Union as free states, the act undid the Compromise of 1850, which explicitly banned slavery north of 36 30', and left the matter open to popular sovereignty--as the decision of the new states' citizens.

Bleeding Kansas: The skirmishes between pro- and anti-slavery forces in Kansas were a brutal foreshadowing of the Civil War. After passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act in 1854, free-soil and pro-slavery settlers moved into the new state in the anticipation of struggle over the state's position on slavery. The first settlers into the territory came from neighboring Missouri, and many brought their slaves with them. Virtual civil war erupted when over 4,000 armed Missourians, whose state was already bordered by two free states and thus easy to escape from, battled anti-slavery settlers. John Brown launched his famous raids against the slave-holders. By the winter of 1855-1856 the territory had two governments, and in the spring, conflicts again flared. President Franklin Pierce was required to send troops to restore order in 1856, and a truce was imposed. Kansas eventually became a free state and was admitted to the Union in 1861.

Brooks Sumner: ?

Republican party: A political party created in the 1850s to prevent the spread of slavery to the territories. Eventually Republicans came to oppose the entire existence of slavery. Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican president. Very few Southerners were Republicans.

Dred Scott: Dred Scott was a slave in the United States who sued unsuccessfully for his freedom in the famous Dred Scott v. Sandford case of 1856. His case was based on the fact that he and his wife Harriet were slaves, but had lived in states and territories where slavery was illegal, including Illinois and Wisconsin, which was then part of the Louisiana Purchase.

Lincoln-Douglas debates: The Lincoln-Douglas debates were a series of formal political debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in a campaign for one of Illinois' two United States Senate seats. Although Lincoln lost the election, these debates launched him into national prominence which eventually led to his election as President of the United States.

Raid on Harper's Ferry: The Raid at Harpers Ferry was when John Brown and his men attacked the U.S. Federal Arsenal at Harpers Ferry, Virginia. An arsenal is a place where military weapons are stored. John Brown wanted to seize the arsenal because he thought by stealing weapons he could help free some slaves. He would get slaves and other abolitionists to begin a battle against slave owners. The Raid at Harpers Ferry became one of the causes of the Civil War.

Election of 1860: The “wedges of separation” caused by slavery split large Protestant sects into Northern and Southern branches and dissolved the Whig party. Most Southern Whigs joined the Democratic party, one of the few remaining, if shaky, nationwide institutions. The new Republican party, heir to the Free-Soil party and to the Liberty party, was a strictly Northern phenomenon. The crucial point was reached in the presidential election of 1860, in which the Republican candidate, Abraham Lincoln, defeated three opponents—Stephen A. Douglas (Northern Democrat), John C. Breckinridge (Southern Democrat), and John Bell of the Constitutional Union party.

• 1 decade ago

haha, learned that this year! missouri compromise made an imaginary line across the US to seperate slave and free states and territory and made missouri a slave state and maine a free state after they were admitted as US states

the compromise of 1850 canceled out the missouri compromise and was made by henry clay, but presented by stephen douglas. it made california a free state to satisfy the north and made any new territories acquired from the mexican war to be voted on by the occupants on whether the territory became free or slave, so popular sovereighnty was used and this law allowed the people to poor into a territory and vote on whether the territory became free or slave once it became a state (2 sentences :D)

the kansas-nebraska act moved the missouri compromise line upwards, i think

bleeding kansas was when after the event called the sack of lawrence occurred where some southerners killed some slaves i think it was, john brown and 7 slaves and abolitionists went and killed 7 southerners. this caused big fights between southerners and northerners to become quite common, and so much blood was spilled, the state was nicknamed "bleeding kansas". there was even an event in congress when a northerner was criticizing a southerner and another southerner defended him by jumping on the northerner and beating him with a cane, causing a brawl in congress. (again, 2 sentences :D)

no idea who brooks sumner is. unless u mean "sumnter"(sp), then i think a fort was named after him, a fort that, after being attacked by the south, began the civil war

republican party was just a section of the original whig party, which involved both north and south. the northern whigs made the republican party and were the ones who worked to abolish slavery

dred scott was a slave whose owner went into free territory once to do some illegal trading and went back into slave territory. after scott's owner was killed or something, he went to court and demanded his freedom because a slave on free soil was considered free and scott was on free soil, even if only briefly, but was denied his claim in court by the chief justice Roger Tawney i think his name was, and this incident, which became known as the dred scott case, enraged northerners.

the lincoln-douglas debates was simply the fact that the 2 were running against each other for the presidency. douglas believed that popular sovereignty should be used to decide on the issue of slavery while lincoln, although letting the southerners keep their slaves, outlaw slavery anywhere else and let slavery slowly die out.

the raid on harper's ferry was when john brown tried to get some slaves to come with him and raid the harpers ferry arsenal, take the weapons, and cause a revolt, but no slaves came to help, so brown was caught and hung.

the election of 1860 declared lincoln president and this incident caused some southern slaves to immediately secede and form the confederate states of america, since they didn't trust lincoln, who was of course, an abolitionist

whew, that took awhile to write. this was all off my head too, honest :D

• 1 decade ago

Google

• tsai
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

nicely, you're in 8th grade. people are not very smart then. Plus, they may be jealous. British accents are lovable. "The British are coming"? Is that the suited they could arise with? do not situation approximately it, they are going to strengthen out of it. optimistically. in simple terms forget approximately it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

try ask jeeves, or try google it's easy just type in those key words and you'll come up with lots of stuff- then summarize it

it won't be that bad- it'll take you 10-20 mins max

Source(s): i remember 8th grade. it was ANNOYING but google saved my ass
  • 1 decade ago

Try yahoo.

or the website for your history textbook

that always helped me ;)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if your in 8th grade like me then 8 sentences would b an 8th grade paragraph

• 1 decade ago

http://wikipedia.org/ knows better than I.

• cheating on your hsitory i see... Do your work yourself

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.