What's the Best Way to Switch From Zoloft to Effexor XR?

I have really bad GAD and panic disorder. I had been on Effexor XR 37.5 for years and it really helped. But then I decided that I wanted to get myself off of all meds. I slowly weaned myself off, but then the panic came back. So the doctor prescribed me Zoloft. I was up to 75 mg of Zoloft and it just took the... show more I have really bad GAD and panic disorder. I had been on Effexor XR 37.5 for years and it really helped. But then I decided that I wanted to get myself off of all meds. I slowly weaned myself off, but then the panic came back. So the doctor prescribed me Zoloft. I was up to 75 mg of Zoloft and it just took the edge off, but that's it. I basically, have no life because of my panic. So I've decided to go back on Effexor and my doctor agrees. I made this decision on Friday night and saw the doctor today (Monday). In preparation, I lowered myself on Saturday down to 50 mg. Already today, my panic has been out of control. My doctor told me that I could just stop the Zoloft and go right to the Effexor 37.5 tomorrow. But I'm afraid of the side effects/withdrawals of doing that so quickly. But on the other hand, I know my panic will be super out of control if I slowly wean myself off o the Zoloft before starting the Effexor. Any suggestions of how to ease this transition? Thanks!
4 answers 4