Does Taiwan allow dual citizenship?

Does Taiwan allow dual citizenship? I will be applying American citizenship 3.5 years later.

Thanks

Claire

Update:

So that means I cant change my surname in US if I want to retain my taiwan citizenship?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • naekuo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. Taiwan does allow dual citizenship. However, you cannot hold public office if you got dual citizenship.

http://www.immigration.gov.tw/aspcode/LawList1.asp...

Yes. The US also allow Dual Nationality

The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1...

PS Yes. We got whole bunch of wives and kids have dual citizenship. So we don't know what he is talking about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Does Taiwan allow dual citizenship?

Does Taiwan allow dual citizenship? I will be applying American citizenship 3.5 years later.

Thanks

Claire

Source(s): taiwan dual citizenship: https://shortly.im/6Wfxs
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avvyJ

If you have a Taiwanese passport, just show up at the airport in Taoyuan with your Taiwanese passport. No need for visa. I thought Philippines allowed dual nationality. If that's the case, just tell them you have a Taiwanese passport for entering Taiwan.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes.

Just ask my wife Ching Ho Heidi _________________(America).

AKA _______Ching Ho(Taiwan).

Taiwan does not allow you to change your name so if you take your husbands/wife's surname in the US the names on the passports will be different. (We were able to finally get Taiwan to put her American name in the space provided for as an AKA.

Getting Taiwanese citizenship is next to impossible. And if you do you must give up your other citizenships.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Karon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes, if you use the Philipines Passport. Remark: Thats because you are using the Phil. PP for entry and exit from the Philipines and I dont think the Immigration will let you depart without the appropriate entry visa for your destination which is the normal procedure in most countries.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.