Can I learn to drive in South Africa with a UK Learner License?

I have a UK Learner License but I want to take my driving lessons in South Africa. Im hoping they wont make me write a test inoder to start my lessons.Please help!

Favorite Answer

Yeah maybe, but be warned the cul-de-sacs are a nightmare. Will the driving instructor pick you up from home and let you drive to South Africa, or have I got the wrong end of the stick????

The British foreign places Commonwealth place of work says "A uk driving Licence is widespread in South Africa for as much as twelve months after get right of entry to provided it contains the image and signature of the holder." I carry a uk drivers licence, handed my try at 18 ,and while i became into 19 i began out doing 2 years doing voluntary service in South Africa driving every day. I have been given stopped numerous circumstances by potential of the police at numerous verify factors and none of them had a difficulty with my British Drivers licence.

I dont think they would unfortunately as we have different road rules when compared to the UK such as rights of way and a couple of road signs . I think its best if you go to South Africa and get both your learners and Full licence in South Africa and then if you come back to Britain you can swap your Sa licence for a full UK licence without having to do any extra theory or practicals which could save you a lot of time and money.

• cheri

I am not sure - they probably will but contact a driving school - they will know what to do, and the instructor will collect you at home or at work for the lesson

no, i dont think so. south african rules are that you have to be 18 before you get your licence. actually, i have no idea, you should contact the traffic department. but they will probably tell you NO, (not because it is no, but because they are too lazy to find out)