Wearing white & black dress to wedding?

My husband is the best man in a wedding party in May and their wedding colors are red and white. I picked out a white dress with a lot of black accents. If you go to this website you can see a dress almost like mine. Mine has a different top style a bigger black section just below the chest and a different flowery black design at the bottom. Is this dress inappropriate to where to a wedding? How can I better accessorize this dress to stay away from offending the bride?

To view a dress similar to mine; go to the web site below or I can send a picture of my dress to you. Go to:

www.debshops.com then select Prom 2008, Tea Length Party Dresses, Style# 2709002

The top of my dress looks like this.

Go to www.debshops.com then select Prom 2008, Sleek and Sophisticated, Style# 3625602

Found out that the bridesmaids dresses are red so I'm good there.

• Favorite Answer

Being a wedding minister I see all the guests attires. Even MOB or MOG and no longer is there a no - no to colors. Maybe appropriate attire but colors no. Well an all white one is out even for a bride not wearing white even in a small home ceremony. I love this dress. The black will contrast with the white so you will not be mistaken for one of the bridal party. You want to also match your husband and not be contrasting when standing together. Obviously he will be wearing a black suit/tux and one of her colors for his vest and tie. You will be one of the more appropriately dressed there with this dress. If you are close to the bride or a member of her family or bridal party send them the picture and see what they think. They will know what other dresses are being worn by the main bridal party and if yours will be to similar or not.

My opinion is a Great Choice.

Best of Luck

Source(s): Wedding Minister

I know there's a "no white" rule for wedding attire, but I wouldn't consider that a white dress. Nor would I consider it a black dress. You're certainly not competing for attention with the bride in it just because it has some white on it. I would say it's just fine. I wouldn't be offended at all if someone came to my wedding in that dress.

I think there's enough pattern on that dress to make it clear it's not contending with the bride! There's also enough white so that it's not all dark and dreary! I think it's a very pretty dress and you should wear it.

I had bridesmaids in black and white at my wedding. And to be honest, I don't think the bride will have time to take note of everything everyone else is wearing on the day, so it will hardly detract from her having a great time - I certainly didn't.

All brides look amazing on their big day and it's pretty difficult to contend with that. I'd wear it and not worry about it.

I was always under the impression that black shouldn't be worn to a wedding. I've only ever attended a couple weddings and the most recentone I was at I was amazed at how many women were wearing ALL black dresses! I was shocked! I had made it a point to avoide buying a black dress for the occasion and here are all this women in just that, a black dress! lol So I guess it's okay. Have a great time!

your day, your choice :p if your set on a white/ivory dress, Viven of holloway do vintage style dresses and some of their ivory/white/cream dresses have been teamed with a black belt and with them being nipped in at the waist they look pretty good. sticking with the vintage idea here (having been looking for my own wedding dress and vintage being my ideal its all I've looked at!) usually those dresses have petticoats underneath. You could have a black petticoat to match along with the rest of your dress. for inspiration you could always try ebay and see if that throws anything up to give you a better idea of how it would look.

My sister-in-law wore a black and white tea-length dress to my wedding. I thought it was fine.

A lot of brides and their families aren't as strict as far as traditions go. If you're really that worried about it, have your husband ask someone close to the wedding (like the groom) or, if you know the bride, ask her yourself.

She'll more than likely appreciate you thinking to ask her.

Well personally I dont want anyone else wearing white at my wedding since im the only one getting married and I wouldnt want anyone wearing black cuz that seems as if you're mourning my marriage. Im not sure how I feel about a white and black dress

I'd say this is perfectly acceptable. The idea of wearing no white whatsoever is absurd.

Get some bold jewellery in red or hot pink or bright emerald green to accessorize. A heavy plastic bracelet and a bag would be perfect.

I think if it has a lot of black it's ok. A lot of rules for weddings don't really apply anymore... like wearing black. Black at weddings has become a fashion statement. Or if you still feel uncomfortable, then find a different dress.... that means more shopping! ;)

• Lydia

No, just choose a pretty dress with a different color. No black, no white, and not the color of the bridesmaids.