I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse(GST)... It burns alot of oil...HELP!?

My car has ALOT of stuff done to it. It has a turbo back exhaust and I thought thats what the problem was at first( car still passes e-check) . I have to use rubbing compound to get that black crap off every time I drive it. All of that black suit that comes out of it.... and gets all over my WHITE PAINT!! makes me sooo mad... What can I do to stop that from happening???

The turbo is BRAND NEW, there are 130, 000 miles on the car but the enigine was rebuilt 4months ago, so its like brand new..I change my oil every 3 months and use castrol synthetic oil(5 qts).

The check engine light is NOT on.

Favorite Answer

In addition to the possiblity of a bad turbo you could have leaking valve stem seals... a common thing on older Mitsus. I assume you're noticing a loss of oil in the system and not just going by your bumper, right?

Source(s): Mitsu master tech

Unfortunately more information is needed to answer this.

Normally "black suit"<sp> is NOT a function of burning oil, but of a mixture too rich. This is not a function of having a turbo back exhaust, but of something else wrong, a faulty 02 sensor being likely.

Soot is a function of the carbon in unburned hydrocarbons being dispersed in the exhaust.

Is the check engine light on? How many miles on the car? Any other issues? How much oil is it burning? (how often do you have to add oil, and how much?)

It is crucial to know how much oil is LOST (not how often you change it or the oil capacity)

Is the car down on power? If the turbo is failing you will not get proper boost, which in open loop mode would also cause the car to run rich.

If your blow-off valve is venting to atmosphere, that will likely also cause it to run rich. Any rich condition can cause the generation of soot.

Pull the intake boot off the turbo and use your fingers to check for play or wobble in the turbo shaft, you probably have bad seals and bearings. If there is up and down or left to right movement you need a turbo.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

I'ld probably go with the first answer you got on this question, running rich seems to be the problem. and for oil i just have to say i would run Royal Purple 10W synthetic oil. love the stuff cleans the interior of the engine, gives you back HP and helps it run cooler. But yeah the problem is that ur running rich on fuel. my Grand Prix GTP does it at times when i run it too hard.