Socks
Socks asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What's this dystopian sci fi movie?

Years ago - late 90s - we were flipping (broadcast) channels and stopped for a minute on this sci fi movie. All I remember of it is this elementary age school class was getting a tour of a cloning facility and the teacher is explaining how people "Used" to procreate and one of the students says "So people became mothers and fathers?" and the teacher replies that "there's no need to use bad language." And that's when my dad decided to change the channel.

I've searched the web over for these two lines I remember and scoured lists of dystopian movies but for the life of me can't find anything. Does anybody out there know? I remember it had the look and feel of a mid 90s movie. I expect it was a tv adaptation of a film, not a made for tv movie. I have no clue which station it aired on, but it would have been one of the big 3 - NBC, CBS, or ABC.

MystMoonstruck:

Yep, I went looking through lists and lists of dystopian movies, recognized Brave New World cause I read the book, so I got it and about 5 minutes in recognized it :)

Favorite Answer

Perhaps it was the remake of "Brave New World". A wonderful miniseries was made in the Eighties, then they decided to have another miniseries, which is supposed to be quite poor. I'll return with the actors, which might "ring a bell".

Brave New World (1998 TV miniseries)

starring Peter Gallagher, Leonard Nimoy, Tim Guinee, Rya Kihlstedt, Sally Kirkland, Daniel Dae Kim, Miguel Ferrer,

IMDB review:

In the near future, society is managed so that everyone is happy. Only a few live on the edges of society as "trash". In society, babies are no longer born; they are designed into social categories to decide their future roles. Everyone is happy. However, Bernard, one of the conditioning team, can't help but feel that there are ways of making it better. When a chance helicopter accident brings him into contact with one of the "savages", John Cooper, he brings him back as an experiment. Initially, John is taken by the society but gradually begins to see that the world is not as he wants it.

If this IS what you saw, I would suggest that you find a copy of this one, which is true to the book. The one above truly is a dreadful knockoff that ignores Aldous Huxley's brilliant novel:

Brave New World (1980 TV miniseries)

starring Kristoffer Tabori (as John Savage), Jonelle Allen, Julie Cobb, Bud Cort, Keir Dullea, Valerie Curtin, Beatrice Colen, Aron Kincaid, Victoria Racimo, Marcia Strassman

IMDB synopsis:

In a future society based on pleasure without moral worries, love is prohibited but casual sex, now called "engaging", is strongly encouraged. Everyone is kept happy with a legal drug, Soma. People are hatched and cloned on conveyor belts to meet the requirements of five different social classes, from ruling Alphas to robot-like Epsilons. Bernard Marx is a different Alpha male with an inclination to thinking. Marx and Lenina Disney visit a reservation of "savages", where they meet a handsome young man named John and bring him back to "civilization". John turns out to be the son of the director of the cloning authority, which causes a scandal and makes John a celebrity freak. John falls in love with Lenina but is unable to follow their rules about relationships.

This is a lavish, loving version of the novel, unlike the one made in the Nineties.

Mind Warp, Logan's Run, Terminator films, District 9, Escape From L.A, Escape From New York, Gattaca, Judge Dredd, Serenity(Watch Firefly first), Dark City, 12 Monkeys, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, The Chronicles of Riddick or any Riddick film, Robocop movies, The 6th Day, Total Recall.