How can Bacteria survive in Frozen Yogurt?

Can I get the same benefits from frozen yogurt desert, that I do from regular yogurt?. How can bacteria survive if its that cold?

Best Answer

the healthy bacteria in there, I've wondered that myself I know it needs warmth to grow. That is why I don't think frozen yogurt is that healthy after you add all the sugars and thickeners you are getting all the calories and I don't know if you are getting the benefits of the yogurt

• Maria

My relations put fruited yogurt in the freezer for up to 2 days without any noticeable negative effects. According to the Australian Society of Dairy Technology yogurt (Yoghurt) bacteria will survive freezing even if frozen to the point of drying. The amount of living bacteria will be reduced the longer the yogurt is frozen.

Yogurt is made by curdling milk with purified cultures of two special bacteria, Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. The other commonly-used strains are Bifidus, L. Acidophilus and S. Thermophilis. In an attempt to make their products sound more exclusive, some large manufacturers are creating strains with proprietary names, such as Danon’s L. casei Immunitas™ and Bifidus Regularis™. These strains have no greater functional powers than the publicly-available bacteria. As you may deduce from the names “Immunitas” and “Regularis,” this is product marketing scientificus.

BIFIDUS

A strain of beneficial bacteria often included in probiotic cultures

Frozen yogurt doesnt have any bacteria in it that is helpful... its mostly sugar. And its not completely frozen. It takes heat to kill bad bacteria.

even if the yogurt is frozen it still has bacteria. dairy products have bacteria inserted in them to help the immune system.

duh

• Elana

There are LOTS of organisms that can survive in extreme conditions.

"Frozen" ain't all that bad compared to the heat vents (volcanic) under the ocean, etc.

The coldness doesnt kill it, what kills it is heat, coldness only slows down the process. It wont hurt you if you eat it, but dont leave it out in room temperature for too long.

bacteria can live through the cold, just not the heat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ bacteria can live in heat as well. Check your sources.

i think heat is the only thing that kills it

answer me

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvQzs...