Accidentally Plugged 110 Window AC Unit into 220 Plug - Unit Now Dead?

We are working on an older house, and thought the wires in an old socket were 110 (two wire with a ground). We didn't check it first, and added a 110 socket, that let the unit run for about 30 seconds before it shut off completely. We ran a 110 cord up to the window unit, but the ac unit will not power up. Is... show more We are working on an older house, and thought the wires in an old socket were 110 (two wire with a ground). We didn't check it first, and added a 110 socket, that let the unit run for about 30 seconds before it shut off completely. We ran a 110 cord up to the window unit, but the ac unit will not power up. Is the unit dead, or can it be repaired?
Update: Many of the sockets were missing. It had a two wire set up. We replaced several sockets, and I use to seeing a three wire 220. After the unit shut down, I was kicking myself for not pulling out the multimeter. The window unit has a surge protector on the plug. It still turns on, but the unit itself will not... show more Many of the sockets were missing. It had a two wire set up. We replaced several sockets, and I use to seeing a three wire 220. After the unit shut down, I was kicking myself for not pulling out the multimeter.

The window unit has a surge protector on the plug. It still turns on, but the unit itself will not power up. It has some LED lights that will not come on now. I was hoping it has an internal fuse, which I didn't have time to take apart this weekend.