as2633
as2633 asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

are you going to change your last name?

I'm getting married in a few months, but don't want to change my last name. Is this odd? Have many of youdone this?

For all of you who use the to become one excuse for changing your last name... Why can't he change his?!

I just like my last name it's semi-funny and fits my personality. His name is very proper and "normal" think "The Steven's."

Favorite Answer

Before i got engaged i didn't have a second thought about changing my name. In my family it is the way it has always been done and i had grown up believing i would be the last generation to have my surname due to everyone having girls after my dad.

That was all well and good until my fiance didn't feel comfortable with me changing my name and my daughters to create a single family name so he decided that on our wedding day he will be changing his!

So i get to keep my surname as my married name and it will be my husband who will gain a maiden name.

I love my man :o) I'm proud that he would be willing to do that for me and he was never asked to either

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm taking his name, and dropping mine ONLY because I really hate my last name. It's my dad's and my parents have been divorced for years and I never speak to my dad, so I don't have too much of an attachment to it. And my boyfriend's last name goes really well with mine, miraculously. My current last name is extremely difficult to pronounce and it's just awful to say.

However, if you don't want to change it, don't. I know many brides who have kept their names after marriage, and their now husbands don't have a problem with it either. The only time it gets tricky is if you guys decide to have kids, what will their last names be? Just make sure that you guys have discussed it so that it doesn't become confusing once that time comes.

But yeah, I'd probably keep my own name if I didn't hate it so much.

• I think that changing your name is fine, what I find ridiculous is that most men are shocked even at the thought of ever changing THEIR last name, as if it is beneath them or something.

I am changing my last name to my fiance's last name because of two reasons:

1.) I have always hated the way my first and last name sound together, they just don't flow.

2.) My fiance never knew his real father until a year ago. He is the only boy in his entire family with his grandparents' last name. It is really important to him that when he has a son, he wants to be the dad that his dad never was to him. So he wants his child to be able to have his name, our name. He made sure I knew that that was the reason he wanted me to have his name, and not because he felt that he was better than changing his name or anything. So I am alright with it lol.

Many people don't change their last name if they are known by that name in their profession, but I don't know why a woman wouldn't want to take her husband's name. To me, it really does make it sound more like you are a family. If you want to keep your maiden name as well, another option is changing your middle name to your maiden name (or just using the first letter of your maiden name as a middle initial). One problem you might run into is what the last name of any children will be (if there will be any), and will their friends be asking "why do your mommy and daddy have different names?"? But, hey, whatever you feel you want to do, do it. You are the only one (well, except for your husband and any children) who has to live with whatever it is that you choose to do :)

Part of me wanted to keep my own last name. I liked the sound of it better than his, and plus, my name had been with me my whole life! Its hard to give that up! I thought of hyphenating the two names, but it just didn't sound right. My husband was against both of these ideas, and felt very strongly that I should take his name. Ultimately, that is what I did. I think in the long run, its just easier, and it didn't take too long to get used to my new name.

If you don't want to change your last name, it's up to you. Personally I don't feel that anyone should have to change their name unless they want to. If it makes you feel more attached then it's right, if you don't then it's right.

While some people might consider it odd it's not all that uncommon.

sorry. not married. when I do get married I want a new last name unless its worse then the one i've got already : )

It's not weird if you don't want to change your last name. The guy ur getting married to should respect your decision whatever you choose to do.

congrats

I love my last name, and hate my middle name. His last name is fine, but a fairly common last name...so what i did was dropped my middle name and now my middle name is my maiden name, and his last name is my last name. My maiden name is british and is sometimes used as a boy's first name in the uk....so , we both win!

Source(s): B.M.A. (my initials now)

I haven't decided. I don't really want to because my fiancee has a very ethnic sounding last name and I'm afraid i will get sterotyped, but I love him so much, that I'm going to just hyphenate.

There are many women who opt out of the name change, but I wouldn't do that unless it was completely incompatible with my name i.e. my friend Taylor dating a guy with the surname Taylor. I'm proud to take my fiance's name =]

I agree with Moi. It's a merging of two lives, and the forming of a family. You go from Jane Doe and John Smith to The Smiths.