Blah asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do dogs dig holes in the ground?

I have a black labrador retriever he started digging a hole in the ground while tied outside.

not hot out

Favorite Answer

hmmm. Maybe you better check his papers. Ya know he could be on some sort of mission. Maybe he's an undercover spy dog and he's trying to dig his way to China and learn all their ancient Chinese secrets, and he's going steal them for the U.S. so we can do better in the trade business. Or maybe he's just bored. Our lil' guy loves to dig holes, except he seems to think that there is someone attacking him from behind when he hits himself with the flailing dirt he's tossing around. He barks and digs then barks then digs. Wish my dog had papers. =(

• Nasira

What kind of dog do you have? It could be a number of things. Some breeds naturally have the instinct to dig. If it's hot outside, sometimes certain dogs will dig down in the dirt to find a cool spot to lay in. He may be trying to get to something. It may be a bad habit. He could be bored, and may just be entertaining himself. Some dogs bury things for later (just thought I'd mention it lol). Or it may be that he has alot of pent up energy and should be taken for daily walks. I hope I helped.

I don't think it's the heat either. I think that it probably is boredom. It gives your dog something to do. He needs other less destructive things to entertain himself and some breeds dig more than other. My dog is a cockapoo toy poodle mix and every now and then he will dig in our yard.

Sometimes dogs dig hole because they're bored. They sometimes also dig hole to make places to keep cool. My dog once dug a tunnel underneath our back "porch". It was big enough for her to fit in and she went there when she was hot.

in the summer they dig because the soil is cool

in the winter they dig because the underground is warmer then above ground (that is also why when animals hibernate most of them go under ground)

also for hiding item such as bones toys and other findings

It sounds like your dog is bored. Take the dog for half hour walks twice a day. When you leave your dog outside make sure that he has enough toys to play with. Also make sure the dog has enough water and shelter when you are not home!

Good luck!

If it is hot out he will dig to get in the cool dirt.

well i have two answers for you

1: because they cant dig holes in the sky or the air

2 (serious answer): because the dog is bored and it needs something to do to be mentally stimulated

To get out of the heat. The dirt is cooled off.

Because they probably want to bury something or dig up something.