IversonGSN3 asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

ken griffey jr., greatest baseball player ever?

by this i dont mean the baseball player with the most accomplishments, hes not, its bonds. but im talking about who is the most talented at any one time, so who is you know, the best, if you can understand my reasoning, so injuries wouldnt affect this question? By that reasoning, would anybody agree that ken griffey jr is the greatest baseball player ever? (oh yeah, and he was natural too)

Favorite Answer

No....

I would elaborate, but I have Ken Griffey Jr. disease, so I broke my arm, sprained my ankle, caught on fire, contracted bubonic plague, and was attacked by alligators while attempting to answer this question.

I would have to disagree with you. Even when he was in his prime, Willie Mays (the person who Griffey was most often compared to, ironically) was still better than Griffey. True, Mays did not quite put up the stats of Griffey. BUT, Mays had to play half his games at the Polo Grounds, which was basically a nightmare for hitters. He also had to patrol that massive center field area. If Mays would have played at a more hitter-friendly ballpark, even the Kingdome, he would probably have surpassed Griffey's numbers. Mays was also better defensively- you never see many highlight reel catches of Mays (other than his most famous catch) because Mays was always in the right position to make the play and therefore, he rarely needed to dive or leap to make the catch. Griffey in his prime, in my opinion, was the second best all-around baseball player ever, but Mays was better.

You've got to be kidding!!!!! Junior is a very talented player, probably end up in Hall of Fame, but you should study baseball history. Consider these names

Honus Wagner

Ty Cobb

Christy Matthewson

Babe Ruth

Lou Gehrig

Ted Williams

Pete Rose

Stan Musial

Roberto Clemente

Micky Mantle

Joe DiMaggio

Whitey Ford

Willie Mays

Hank Aaron

I could go on for hours, study baseball history. For chrissake READ A BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• James

This is almost an impossible question to answer. You'd have to have seen almost every player play.

For me, though, I'd say no way. Steroids or not, Bonds was the best, most talented, whatever when he was on for those three or four years. I mean the guy either walked, doubled, or hit a home run seemingly every at bat.

I'm not even a Bonds fan, by the way. What about A-rod?

Greatest player of all time? I think not, especially with the consistant injury bug since his move to the Reds. If he continued putting up the career numbers he did with the Mariners he would have definately been high up on the list. He's definately one of the best players of the 90s.

I think he is one of the greatest players simply because he went out and did his job but went further then that. He always tried for fly balls and he always tried to get on base. He was a gentleman who was unselfish and was a great all-around player. In his prime he was capable of having a .300 BA,50 HR,110 RBI season. He dove for balls and played his heart out and eventually his play led to his many injuries. And your correct about his 600 Homeruns. He used no steroids or anything illegal but used pure power and athletic ability to hit. So yes in response to your question I think Griffy Jr should be considered a Top 10 Player of all time.

He was on pace to be the best player ever, but between injuries he became one of the top 100. He'll probably still make the Hall of Fame, but you can't put him in a class with Aaron, Mays, Mantle, and Ted Williams.

No, and I'll cite just one reason: walks and strikeouts. Junior wasn't bad at taking a walk and he wasn't the worst strikeout guy, but someone aspiring to be The Greatest Ever could and should have been better at controlling his strike zone.

KGJ: 1600 K, 1170 walks (1.37 K:BB ratio)

Some contemporary player: 1539 K, 2558 walks (0.60)

Griffey is the greatest baseball player ever bar none. And he did it the old fashioned way, he earned it.

When he came up, he was slated to be the best ever. However, we will never know for the exact reason you want left out. THe injuries bar us from knowing his true potential. Sorry.