Brushing teeth with baking soda questions?

I was wondering if it is safe to brush your teeth with baking soda. Can baking soda expire? Cause my parents bought baking soda at the store like a few years ago and I brushed my teeth with baking soda. When I woke up my lip skin kinda peeled off on the inside of my mouth. Is that normal when using baking soda to... show more I was wondering if it is safe to brush your teeth with baking soda. Can baking soda expire? Cause my parents bought baking soda at the store like a few years ago and I brushed my teeth with baking soda. When I woke up my lip skin kinda peeled off on the inside of my mouth. Is that normal when using baking soda to brush your teeth? If it won't harm me I will continue on using it. How do I use baking soda when brushing my teeth? Do I just put toothpaste on my brush then a sprinkle of baking soda? And does it really make your teeth whiter? (I don't have yellow teeth. My teeth is white but I want them to be whiter lol.) Thank You!
Update: I forgot to mention that I just lost a tooth yesterday and if it is safe to brush my teeth with baking soda after I lost that tooth. Will that tooth still grow?