Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

Brown mucus, spit, sputum I don't know the difference between them all lol?

So every since I got mono and strep every morning at the same time I have woken up with a fairly dehydrated mouth that feels like it has nasty lump like thing stuck in the back top area of my throat. I got ahead and jump in the shower to get some steam going and then brush my teethe after a while of being in the shower whatever is stuck back there works it's way up and I end up coughing it up. It doesn't really hurt at all to cough it up but is nasty looking and taste and smells pretty bad. I was wondering if this is a bad sign and if there is anything I can do, so that I can reduce the risk of waking up feeling like that? Thank you so much for taking the time to read and help out, It has just been one thing after the other lately, as soon as I get up something beets me back down again =(

• rosieC
    Favorite Answer

Greenish mucus can come from your bronchioles such as in the case of Acute Bronchitis. or Acute Sinusitis. Tannish mucus can come from your lungs, such as in Pneumonia. Both can be brought up by coughing. Brown mucus might come from your throat if irritated and inflammed. Yellowish mucus might indicate some sinus infection; colds or the flu. . Spit and sputum which are usuallly clear can come from your saliva as secreted by the salivary glands. Mucus that are clear can sometimes be the case of allergies. such as allergic rhinitis.

Mucus is normally clear and does not represent any sickness unless it becomes excessive and/or discolored. You often discharge bloody or brownish mucus when your sinuses are engorged and blood mingles with your mucus. Brown mucus is a common complain of smokers, because tobacco smoke can better engorge your sinuses.

When you have nasal polyps or irritated mucus membranes, your mucus is blood stained and looks brownish or bloody. Blood stained mucus is also the case with an irritated throat. Alcohol consumers often have engorged throats and bronchi, thus coughing up blood stained or brownish mucus.

Several other things may cause your mucus to be brown. These include the following:

Certain foods, such as chocolate, other snacks, garlic and red wine

Bacteria and viruses

Nose bleeding

Alcohol consumption

Although these can discolor your mucus to a brown color, your mucus may take several other colors due to various causes

Other mucus colors include clear, white, yellow, and green.

Source(s): professional nurse

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So every since I got mono and strep every morning at the same time I have woken up with a fairly dehydrated mouth that feels like it has nasty lump like thing stuck in the back top area of my throat. I got ahead and jump in the shower to get some steam going and then brush my teethe after a while...

Source(s): brown mucus spit sputum don 39 difference lol: https://tr.im/7SrKu
  • Erika

Brown Sputum

As long as it is only happening in the morning and you otherwise feel fine (not short of breath or having fevers) I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like it may be some postnasal drainage that is getting thicker and dried out at night, probably from breathing with your mouth open if you are congested. Try a humidifier in your bedroom, saline nasal rinse daily, and if you are a smoker quit. If none of that helps reflux is another possibility. For that you can try elevating the head of your bed, decreasing caffiene and alcohol intake, not eating a few hours before bed, and possibly Prilosec OTC.

• Lori

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/gOQHN

Phlegm and sputum both refer to what is coughed up from the lungs only. Mucous refers to material from any area,nose,vagina some bowel discharges and that which is coughed up.

1

Source(s): Nasal Polyps Cure http://NasalPolypsRemedy.latis.info/?41k4