Can't access the wired LAN after installing wifi router?

I cannot access the wired LAN I was in after I installed a wifi router to use my other laptop. I used to have internet through a wired LAN until I bought a second machine. Then used a wireless router to split the internet connection. Now I can use internet on both computers wirelessly but when I try to "View... show more I cannot access the wired LAN I was in after I installed a wifi router to use my other laptop. I used to have internet through a wired LAN until I bought a second machine. Then used a wireless router to split the internet connection. Now I can use internet on both computers wirelessly but when I try to "View Workgroup Computers", I can only see the two systems that belong to me. When I connect the CAT-5 cable directly into my laptops I can access the resources on the LAN.
How can I use the wireless router and still be able to gain access to the resources on the wired LAN?
Update: I use a D-Link DI-524 wireless router.
Update 2: I am in a building where internet is provided via a cable. All that comes into my apartment is a wire. I do not have a wired router/hub. But I believe they (ISP) do have those to provide connetion to different apartments in this building. I am able to open shared folders of other users in this building when I... show more I am in a building where internet is provided via a cable. All that comes into my apartment is a wire. I do not have a wired router/hub. But I believe they (ISP) do have those to provide connetion to different apartments in this building. I am able to open shared folders of other users in this building when I connect the wire directly to my laptop. But when I connect it to the wireless router and then try to browse shared folders of other users in the building, they just don't show up on my "View network computer". The only two systems visible are my own. I hope I am clearer now.
Update 3: And when I said "split" I was refering to using the wireless router to use 2 computers to connect to the internet. I did not "split" the cable :)