tj asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Best novel by Charles Dickens for a 15 year old?

Can anyone recommend a good Charles Dickens that would be ideal for a 15 year old. I respect Mr Dickens a lot and intend to read all his novels...but for now...it would be great if anyone could recommend a good one (for 15 years old lol ).

thanks

Favorite Answer

I would recommend 'A Christmas Carol', it's for all ages. Also the one that I personally like is 'A tale of Two Cities'. All his books are terrific, however and I would rate Dickens as one of the best authors of all times. I have read all his books except Dombey and Son. You can take any of his books be it Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Old Curiosity Shop, Little Dorrit, Martin Chuzzlewit, Nicholas Nickleby, but for now, do not choose Bleak House. Although it is a very beautiful book, it is a bit dense and will be complicated to follow for a 15-year old. There is a book of short stories by Dickens known as Christmas stories. It is most often printed in the same book as 'A Christmas Carol'. It features the stories 'The Chimes' and 'The Cricket on the Hearth' and one another but I can't remember the title right now.

There are other authors whom I really like apart from Dickens. If you really like reading, you could check them out(after finishing with Dickens, of course!):

Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The Mill on the Floss, Middlemarch, Adam Bede, Silas Marner by George Eliot

The Grapes of wrath, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl,Tortilla flat by John Steinbeck

Tess of the Duberville, Jude the Obscure, The return of the Native, Under the Greenwood tree, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Villette, Shirley, The Professor, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Agnes Grey, The tenant of Windfell Hall by Anne Bronte

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

The Diary of Anne Frank

Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and Macbeth and any other play by Shakespeare

The Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart and other stories and poems of Edgar Allan Poe

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway

The Sound and the Fury and Light in August by William Faulkner

All Quite on the Western Front by Eric Maria Remarque

Night by Elie Wiesel

Black Boy by Richard Wright

The Picture of Dorien Gray, the Canterville Ghost, Salome, Vera Or The Nihilists,The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

Don Quixote by Cervantes

Oedipus Rex and Antigone by Sophocles

Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malroy

The Metamorphosis by Kafka

Candide by Voltaire

Heart of Darkness and The Scret Agent by Joseph Conrad

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Les Miserables and The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

The Lost world by H.G.Wells

Roll of Thunder, Hear my cry and Let the Circle be Unbroken by Mildred Taylor

A Grain Of Wheat by Ngugi

Things Fall Apart and Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe

The Grass is Singing by Dorris Lessing

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

The Call of the Wild and White Fang by Jack London

A Room with A View and A Passage to Indiaby E.M.Forster

Love in the Time of Cholera and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marquez

A House For Mr Biswas and Mr Stone and the Knights companion by V.S.Naipaul

The Guide, The English Teacher, Waiting for the Mahatma and Malgudi Days by R.K.Narayan

A Streetcar named Desire, The Glass Menagerie and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennesse Williams

All My Sons, Death of A Salesman, The Crucible and A View From The Bridge by Arthur Miller

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

The Reef, The Custom of the Country, The House of Mirth, Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell

To the Lighthouse and Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

Hope this helps!

I would recommend Oliver Twist because it has childlike theme but at the same time has the grimness for a growing 14 year-old, it has great lesson and at the same time it's one of the best and loved novel of all time, together with a christmas carol, it's also somewhat an autobiography of Charles Dickens when he was a child and it is well suited for a Charles Dickens fan just like you, hope you enjoy it as I did, Good luck.

Source(s): I'm a book worm.

I started with Oliver Twist. I was 15 at the time. So far this is the only one I have read fully. It's probably the easiest to get in to. I haven't read it yet but going by story lines David Copperfield would be a good one to follow it up.

Two good ones are:

Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. I found, as a 15yo that David Copperfield was too turgid for me. Both Oliver Twist and Great Expectations have a story line that keeps driving ou to the end.

It depends what you prefer to read; I am also a 15 year old girl, and my all time favourite books have been the 7 Harry Potter books- they're interesting, entertaining and without a doubt adventurous! The storylines of the first six tie together in the 7th book, which adds to the greatness! Another book I like is The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas.

Like the other answerers have said, start with Oliver Twist - it's the best one of his I've read so far, and though it can be confusing at times, it's well worth the effort and I think you'll probably appreciate it at your age. It has pretty much everything one could want - adventure, suspense, a hint of romance, some laughter, some tears...

Enjoy the read!

David COpperfield and Oliver Twist!

• T M

I would recommend either Oliver Twist or Great Expectations.

Nicholas Nickleby