Lai Kuen asked in 科學及數學化學 · 1 decade ago

addition polymerization

i want to ask that how can methanal and 3-ethylcyclopantene to carry out addition polymerization?

thx~

pls answer me in details...

Update:

sorry, it should be 3-ethylcyclopentene ...

1 Answer

Rating
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

first of all, u need to specify the position of where u want to add the formaldehyde.

formaldehyde and the 3-ethylcyclopantene are both electrophilic, u can try to make the formaldehyde a grignard reagent, the cabanion is most likely going to attack the double bond at 1 or 2 position. if u want to specify the position, adding a halide like a Cl on the position u want to react will further enhance your desired product. simply react your 3-ethylcyclopantene with Cl2, but then both of position 1 and 2 will have the halide on them. that means it will take two moles of grignard formaldehyde to completely react with with 1 mole of 3-ethylcyclopantene.

since there are no other functional group, u will not be need to protect other functional groups which i dont know how to do it anyways.

2008-04-13 13:47:32 補充:

those are the basic ideas, if u want more details on how to design that experiment, yahoo knowledge is not really the place u are looking for, u should refer to industrial organic chemist or simply a university organic chemistry professor.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.