Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is the need for mystery greater than the need for an answer?

I'm for mystery, not interpretive answers. ... The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer, but they think they have. So they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.

Ken Kesey ~ "The Art of Fiction" - interview by Robert Faggen, The Paris Review No. 130 (Spring 1994)

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

One of the lessons I've learned is that the quality of the answers that we get in life is truly determined by the quality of the questions we ask.

• 1 decade ago

A mystery doesn't necessarily need to have an answer, a mystery can just be what it is "a mystery"; nobody knows. One only seeks for an answer when one wants to know the mystery and not the other way around.

A Christian believes in seeking the answers first because having faith in the mystery the answers will be revealed and so will follow the truth of the mystery.

The Holy Bible is our mystery but the answers given to us by Our Lord and Jesus Christ in the Holy Word will reveal the mystery of God.

Those with the Holy Spirit never stop thinking and searching for the truth until God makes it His Will.

AMEN! GOD BLESS! SHALOM!

Source(s): HOLY BIBLE
  • 1 decade ago

We will never solve all the mysteries so there's no fear in trying to answer them. We have discovered a lot of things that have made some mysteries vanish but they often create mysteries of their own. The more we discover the larger the next horizon is.

It seems to me that those who seek to uncover mysteries are the ones who have the deepest appreciation for them.

• Mike
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

aw my gosh beautifully said, i dont know if you're talking about your self seeking for mystery(which would be absurd) but if your taking the role as a christian(theist in general) ...then you've hit the nail on the head

its exactly what theists are looking for , they dont care about answers(atleast "answer" that can be proven) , what they really care for, like you said, is mystery...its mystery that gave birth to religion

when ancient man didnt know why the sun rose , or why bolts of electricty came through the sky , they attributed these things to a god or gods

and its mystery thats still keeping it alive

(ex. why is there something rather than nothing, why are we here, what was before the big bang or what caused)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I tire of the hunt. I grow weary of all the little back road side trips. Some answers are essential or no growth. The path would dead end. So many directions. I can argue both sides of any argument. I can see both sides of anything. There is no, Voila, this is it! It can never be or there would be nothing to look forward to. But, this is finite thinking. Yet, there must be answers for growth and ascension to happen.They are equal and a complement to each other. They are a duality that is one. The Janus.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I love this question!

I am also for mystery, but not opposed to answers. The answers create new mysteries! When two answers SEEM right but say opposite things, i strive to comprehend a truth that is big enough to embrace them both.

• 1 decade ago

A mystery is not something you can't know anything about, but is something that you can't know everything about.

Thus God is a mystery: You can know that God is, but you can't know everything about God since God is infinite and you are not.

Likewise, the Trinity is a mystery, since while you can believe that God is three in persons but one in nature, you can't keep the three and the one in the same mental act at the same time. Because it is a deep mystery, no wonder Oneness Pentecostals reject the Trinity.

The Incarnation is a mystery, since while you can believe that God became man, you can't comprehend the profound unity between the divine and human natures. Because it's mystery is so vast, no wonder Muslims reject the idea of an incarnate God.

The Eucharist is a mystery, since while a Christian can concede the possibility that Christ can turn a piece of bread into his body, you can't exhaust the depth of how the Eucharist is Christ when it obviously appears to be bread to your senses. It's no wonder that such a mystery is rejected by certain Christians.

Mystery is like staring into the Sun. You might see a pinpoint of light surrounded by a vast nothingness, even darkness, but it is not dark because the Sun has no light, but because the Sun is so bright that your eyes cannot fully capture all of the light. The same goes with God and all that God reveals.

That's why Catholics rejoice in the fact that their beliefs entail mystery. Not only does it mean that something new and exciting is there every time you meditate on them, but also it confirms to the intellect that such mysteries of faith are divine in origin. If you can totally exhaust an aspect of the Christian faith with your reason, then such a thing is liable to be merely human in origin.

Thus, to make a mystery one's own, faith provides what reason cannot. The gift of Faith is that by which we "bet" our lives that the mysteries we assent to are true.

Thank God for this mystery:

For us and our salvation,

Jesus Christ suffered, died, and rose again

so we would believe, repent and be forgiven of our sins.

• in RL the more questions you answer, you find more questions afterward. In writing, knowing the end before the beginning always makes the adventure to the goal most interesting, for truly then the author plays God, the knower of all things, and has power over their readers. Leaving a question at the end makes for a sequel.

• 1 decade ago

Answers are found because of mystery. If you want to create mystery, then you are settign yourself up for no answer. With the intent of that. I personally belive that it is the mystery that drives us, but only because it can be solved.

• 1 decade ago

The importance of mystery lies in the need to always have something bigger than our understanding; this is the basis of hope, actually--the faith that exceeds all examinable evidence.

Mystery is the seed from which hope springs, you see.

Source(s): This hopeful answer has been brought to you courtesy of Jack
  • 1 decade ago

I think so. Think of Hugh Laurie as his character House: He thrives on the puzzles, the mysteries. He refuses to treat patients where their problems are easily explained. He likes the mystery of an illness as it challenges him to think about it logically.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.