I want to buy a house, but I'm scared to...?

I live in Winnipeg Manitoba and I'm seriously looking to buy my first house in the next year or so... but the prices of houses in this city have SKYROCKETED in the past 5 years. I heard on the news recently that the average house cost was aprox $80K 5 years ago, now the average cost is $180K. I am young but... show more I live in Winnipeg Manitoba and I'm seriously looking to buy my first house in the next year or so... but the prices of houses in this city have SKYROCKETED in the past 5 years. I heard on the news recently that the average house cost was aprox $80K 5 years ago, now the average cost is $180K. I am young but have a decent paying job. I really want to own my own property as paying monthly rent seems like such a waste to me, but with houses being so expensive, as is rent... I'm a little intimidated by committing to something that costs so much. Any thoughts or ideas?

* I've started working a second part time job aside from my full time salary job. Each pay I get from the P/T job goes straight to a savings account that i can't touch. It's purpose is for a down payment. I work like crazy and am always tired... but the account balance never seems to get me any closer with prices on houses being so much... I'm a little discouraged.