What is the easiest way to back up my files without using CDs?

The Windows Media Player CD player isn't reading discs, and I can't seem to straighten that out, so when I need to back up my files I have to find a way to do it without using CDs. Can anyone help a girl out?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

You have to click on the RIP button and insert the CD. Then you muz select the songs you want. Click on start rip and when the ripping is complete, go to LIBRARY and find the song you want. Click play.

• Marc G
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Install the software called Norton Ghost (2003) or later version. What it does is, it stores an image of your current system configurations and saves a ghost image of it in a separate partition. Norton Ghost is very easy to utilize and in order to use it you must have at least two partitions Drive C: and Drive D: or whatever. Make sure you do not save the ghost image in the partition where your system folders are stored because it will mess your system up pretty badly. Save the ghost image in your second partition and everything should be fine.

If anything is to go wrong, and you already stored a ghost image, just open up Norton Ghost and choose the restore option. Your computer will be restored from the ghost image. Norton Ghost will save an image of everything so don't worry about losing your data. Plus, the restoration process would take less than 20 minutes depending on how much space is consumed in your fist partition.

Note: When using Norton Ghost during the restoration process, only the first partition containing the system files will be restored while the partition where the ghost image is stored is left untouched.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sorry to hear about you luck, you have a couple options here.

1. try different programs like nero or some cd burning software. Also try to update your Windows media player.

2. Use a USB flash drive. Since a cd is 700mb, a decent flash drive is around 1.000 or 2,000mb(1 or 2GB). That's really not that much depending on how many cd's you want to back up. For prices on USB flash drives or larger sizes, go here and consider that.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/c...

3. Last, I would consider buying an external hard drive. You can save all of your data, songs, documents, favorites. Just about anything. This is a great idea in case you need to back up programs or bring things over a friends. It's like a portable warehouse, and all the information is on a small storage device. For prices and sizes

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/c...

Hope these suggestions help!

One last idea real quick! You can ask a friend who knows computers to take out your hard drive, and back it up on their computer! Then reinstall windows and whatever else you need to do, the recover all the data. Just an idea.

Good luck. =)

• 1 decade ago

The easiest way to backup large files these days is to buy an external hard drive that connects to your USB or firewire port. These are pretty cheap now and can store huge amounts of data. This is how I store backup all my music.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

what do you mean you are using WMP? Windows Media player does not back up files. If you have a burning program (e.g.nero) you can use that to make bbackups however, if your computer is saying it is not found a burner than either you dont have one or there is a problem with your burner (firmware) that aside you can back up your data on a network share (if you have a network) or compress them and then upload them to a website.

but as you have not realy detailed what problem you are getting i can not advice much more than that

Source(s): Company Data
  • M
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Try to do the exact same thing, only with flash drives. It will still work the same way, it is just not with CDs

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the best idea that I have found for simple backups of large files is to use an external usb hard drive

• 3 years ago

2 determination. exterior not hassle-free disk and a USB pen rigidity. you need to use them to save a lot of records. yet as quickly as you reproduction them, dont overlook to run antivirus on those records. aside from those, you additionally can connect the old not hassle-free disk as a slave to the hot workstation and use it as a storage depot. Antivirus is a ought to in any occasion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How much data do you need to backup? A USB portable hard drive would be good.

• 1 decade ago

Jump drive

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.