Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

What happens if you have no family and suddenly get disabled?

What happens if you are old, alone, single, no family and suddenly you get disabled, let's say a head injury or disabling illness? You can't work, but you have no family you can count on, and it is too expensive to get into a nursing home. What happens to someone in this situation?

Favorite Answer

I am disabled at seventy, my golden retirement years, what a laugh. Anyway, you have Medicare, Medicaid, these should help you. They both offer a visiting nurse, someone to cook or bring you food, my father had this done, we lived to far away and, he wanted to be independent. The church, we have a very good program at our church for the seniors in your condition, other places like the Eagles, the Elks, the Kinghts of Columbus. You have to let your finger do the walking.

Check with your local county and state health first for emergency needs, go from there.

Source(s): senior

I am single, my family is many hours away from me , I 've been disabled all my life , so who takes care of me , ME! And many good friends who are like family.

You can call up ssdi or if you're in Canada your provincial disability office. You then will be interviewed by one of their social workers, you may go to her/him or he/she may come to you.

He/she will assist you in applying for whatever services you need, housing , long term care , home care whatever fits your particular needs.

If you are deemed disabled by your medical doctor , you'll get benefits from ssdi or provincial disability to cover your needs. In Ontario you will be able to apply for assistive living arrangements if you are not able to live independently.

Being single and alone and having a disability is not the worst thing to happen to you, death is and depending on your attitude towards that , it may not be the worst thing to happen to you .

• srbyn1

You learn to be more Independent, as well as receiving a little help from the County, to do the things that you cannot. You'd be surprised to learn just how many of these people there are, out there, having to fiend for themselves, as much as they possibly can.

You get a "social worker" who visits you in the hospital & assists you in finding a facility that will accept you until your paperwork is filed & you are approved for state aid & federal assistance. If not, then you live in a homeless shelter with the others who are also disabled & have no one to help them. The shelter also has their own type of social workers that are called "case managers" & occasionally they can assist a person to get into an assisted living facility, but it's rare in my state of California. It took me years to get out of the shelter & into rent assisted housing for the disabled and low income. More Questions? check this site for more info if you are in the U.S.

http://www.ssa.gov

.

.

• ncgirl

If you have the finances or a disability that is covered by your medicaid/medicare you can hire a private sitter or nurse.

Good luck to you.

If al you have is SSI, you will probablly end up in a hellhole nursing home for the indigent. My daughter and I had to visit one recently. She was 6. She tugged on my hand, I bent down, and she whispered, "This place is creepy." "I know", I replied.

I'd rather die.

You go to a nursing home

government will take you in but noone to watch to make sure home is good one.

try to make some really good friends that will watch out for you.

you become a ward of the state and you are placed in a state run facility!!!

• Jan

In our state they are appointed a guardian